Jeep versus Deer

kd5uwg

Well what can I say I hit my first deer.. Was very interesting seemed like it happend in slow motion.. I was on a little farm to market road when this buck crossed the road, when he got to the other side were there was a doe standing they both decided to bolt back accross the road.. Id already slowed down but didnt expect em to try to make it back accross needless to say I have a little damage to my 2002 TJ, Its not enuff to claim on insurance since I have a buddy that can do body work, we should be able to straighten the right front fender pretty easily.. I also have a small dent in the front grill which im not even worried about.. I realy should have had more damage but I dont.. I called the sheriffs department and they said there was no reason for an officer to come out as long as deer wasnt on the road, they said id just have to fill out a blue accident form if I wanted to claim it on insurance and I have a couple weeks to do that, If I dont wanna claim it no reason to fill out the form.. Oh well Guess now I dont have to worry about dents near as bad so I can start wheeling it a little rougher now..

Calvin
82 CJ7 4.2l 31x 10.5 bf goodrich all terrain

02 TJ Wrangler 30x 9.5 pirelli norsemans soon to be on 31x 10.5 bf goodrich mud terrains when I get back to work tomorro

Glad you're alright and the damage was minimal.

So...did you have venison for dinner?

Glad all is well, and damage is mininum.Last year the wife hit a deer at 11:00 oclock at night, doing 55mph in our 88 Cherokee Chief broke one of the after market fog lights.But live'in in the mountains of up state NY I must see at least 50 deer related accidents a year. Some leaving a scratch and in one case a over turn.Keep your eyes open and your seat belt on.

kd5uwg said:
Oh well Guess now I dont have to worry about dents near as bad so I can start wheeling it a little rougher now..

I like the way you think!!! Glad you're ok and that the damage wasn't worse. I lost a friend several years ago to a deer accident. He went over the top of it, lost control of his Ranger PU and rolled it several times, killing him.

Funny thing is as I ran over him the jeep didnt even bump.. Ive hit pot holes that upset the vehicle more and this was a good sized deer, well good sized for south texas anyway..

kd5uwg said:
Funny thing is as I ran over him the jeep didnt even bump.. Ive hit pot holes that upset the vehicle more and this was a good sized deer, well good sized for south texas anyway..

But I thought everything in Texas is bigger....:???: :purple:

Creepy. Found this story in today's Wichita Eagle:

Man Killed When Deer Crashes Into His SUV

PRATT -- A Macksville man died when his SUV collided with a deer.
Jose A. Acosta, 42, was killed Saturday night on U.S. 54 about four miles west of Pratt, the Kansas Highway Patrol said.
The force of the collision sent the deer through the windshield of the vehicle Acosta was driving, striking him. He was taken to Pratt Regional Medical Center, where he died.
Six other people riding in the vehicle were taken to the medical center and released. The patrol's report said all seven people in the SUV were wearing seat belts.
-- Associated Press

've come very close twice. Both times in the Mighty YJ.

We had finished a run for the day in late autumn. We had a lot of daytime off road fun in the Redcone peak area. It was getting dark and we were headed for home travelling north on US285 from Grant to Englewood. All of a sudden, my friend, Tom, says, "Look out!"
I looked at him and asked what that meant. His eyes were transfixed forward. He was stressed as he said, "Up ahead!"
I looked forward and saw the Buck in the road. My mind and body went into some micromanagement mode. The guy behind me (a cop) must have thought I was crazy. I was hitting the brakes and watching the deer. If the deer moved in one direction, I would go the other. Whatever the deer did, I tried to read him and moved accordingly. It was close. Tom still swears to this day that I hit the deer. There was no fur on the bumper or any other damage. I watched as the deer continued across the road behind us so I knew that he wasn't hurt. It was close though. The cop behind us flashed his lights and moved to the other lane to pass us. As he drove by, he looked at me and gave me a thumbs up. Strange occurence.

The other time was late at night near Taylor Reservoir (that's between Colorado Springs and Gunnison). It was again dark out after a day of fun off road trails. We drove over a rise in the road and a herd was on the road. Tom claimed later that there was no way to miss them. Somehow, I was cognizant of where every one was and drove right through them. The funny thing was that they were all moving.

Just my two cents worth...

As for Tom? Just recently in the city, he hit a deer as it crossed US 285 in the South part of town. Little or no damage to his service van (cracked fan cover with lots of fur), and the deer ran away, so even he was lucky!

His brother hit a deer in a little Toyota several years ago and totaled both the deer and the car.

Back