kill switch hook up

Gennybro

I want to install a kill switch on myjeep to prevent unauthorized use {thieves}. I have a spot located under the dash where I can install a single pole switch{like a wall switch in your house} I would like to connect it to the ignition switch,so as when the key is turned to start the vechicle,nothing. I have a 91 yj, was eyeballing the dash directly over the steering wheel column,and wondering if I could get acces to the correct wire at that point,to splice into my switch. Any info would be appreciated.

Alldata says its the green wire that goes to your starter relay. If you splice in to that wire you should be good to go.

While I applaud your through process and desire to DYI.. but a wall switch from a house wired in line? your going to use romex too?

do it properly, get a switch that is designed to work with your system, a 15 amp DC switch is what you need, furthermore, I would Highly recommend no wiring it directly into your starter curcuit, the proper way to do this is to use a DPST relay with a 30 amp rating.

mine is behind the glove box and is wired directly to the positive battery lead. kill the switch, remove the key and there can be no power to anything in the jeep.

The battery positive comes off the battery directly to the battery kill switch behind the glove box, from there it goes to the solenoid and routes as stock. With the battery positive to the kill switch first when you turn the switch off all electrical power is killed. I do have to reset the radio everytime I go somewhere, but that is a small price to pay to keep the jeep in my posession not stolen. Hope this helps.

If you used a double pole relay and connected it to the power wire on the stereo harness, you could cut the power and keep your settings ;)

I would put the switch somewhere besides under the dash. If you connect into the ignition switch wire (the one that passes through your keyswitch), your talking a much smaller switch, both physically and amp. wise. This little switch can be hid well in a center console, under a back seat, way up top next to the rollbar. Be creative, and then find a clean route (under the tub, through the frame, ect.) for your 2 conductor wire. I'd use #12 awg to be plenty safe. Find the correct wire going into the steering column, intercept it, pass it through your switch, and back into the steering column. The switch will be in series. You need to make the splices under the dash all nonchalant like. I good thief will look for alterations to the stock wiring under the dash when the rig doesn't start. Leaving him a wire nut under there to re-connect the keyswitch wire back up would surely make his day.:MDB2:

Last edited:
Did a little more research on the kill switch idea.I went to the auto parts store to pick their brains.He mentioned about hooking it up to the coil,showed me a coil with its plug in,and told me that when you turn the key on, only one of the prong connections well regester for current,the other one has something to do with the computor and the fuel injection. Splice into the one showing current when the key is on.Think I'm gonna go with that idea .

Back