kind of lost?

yjhillbilly

so driving my 45 min drive to work @ 60 mph. she starts to sputter, like cut out for a sec. then BooM! she goes out the air cleaner...then is fine? ok strange. 12 hrs. later forgot this happened till sputter sputter...... pop pop boom boom BOOM! down to 5 mph is all it would do. pulled over and looked at what i could @ 3am lol. waited about 10 mins and drove home kind of fine, just a sputter here and there...next day i get to looking and cap wire is ...well to say nice, gone.cooked toast? replaced wires. and was good for a week. coming home from work check eng. light came on and some small sputters.. come home and same thing , codes 21 51 52 so the o2 is bad, replaced cleared codes. now....omg! very small sputters here and far in between till i hit 50ish then cuts out and back fires out intake. went home and code 15 distance sensor? speed sensor? speedometer has never work right anyways sticks at 40 to 60ish. could this be it?just seams funny that would make it back fire....oh 95 yj 2.5 5 speed and ty in advance.. oh and plugs not that old were red? changed any way.

Do you have a crank sensor or anything that? I would get a manual and check all sensors. And check your distributor too. May e advance mechanism is bad?

Yes code 15 bad speed send could cause the sputtering... Replace the speed sensor to clear 15 and reset the PCM. Be sure he speedo gear is correct for your gearing trans and tires...

As super j said, I was thinking timing too. Maybe timing chain, or belt jumped a tooth. advance mechanism is stuck. just ideas here

As super j said, I was thinking timing too. Maybe timing chain, or belt jumped a tooth. advance mechanism is stuck. just ideas here

The way that engine keeps throwing those codes , it wouldn't be a bad idea , I agree , to just double check the timing chain just so you can be sure , it is or it isn't . The last no start that fought me tooth and nail , a 3800 v6 DIS engine , I just had to be sure. Right about now , I'd say to that engine should be gone over with a voltmeter , sensors , ign. coil , harness , the works .
Probably might be a good idea to start with a compression gauge and if more than one cylinder is bad , tear that front cover off !

P.S. - the way the ignition system took a hit suggests ignition coil possibly internal short causing over saturation .

Last edited:
ok so driving today and was a lot better only , when @ 45+ at steady speed does it run a tad ruff. put speed sensor in tonight haven't test drove yet...wish me luck..

ok so driving today and was a lot better only , when @ 45+ at steady speed does it run a tad ruff. put speed sensor in tonight haven't test drove yet...wish me luck..

Best of luck to you , YJ , high speed at high RPM sounds like ignition coil , but that is computer controlled so could be a sensor responsible for this glitch .

so far so good went for about 10 mile drive mostly high speed and was fine came home and no codes. can't believe that a speed sensor make it run like that? but tonight is the test going to work up the hills and for 45 min.s

Back