Kletus needs a gun.

KletusJeeps

Well I think it is time for another gun in the house, as if my small arsenal wasn't enough :lol: , I want a bolt action rifle with at least a 6 shell magazine. Anybody have any suggestions?

8)

How big a bore you need? Varmet or big game or just some where in between and why six shell? One shot one Kill! tug

i love a 300 winchester mag, but nothing is more accurate at 100 yards than my (believe it or not) old savage super sport 30-06.

I carry a .30-06 in my trunk, Ruger M77. Holds 5 rounds and does everything I need it to. Nice to carry light game loads as well as jacketed.

Hopefully I'll get rid of this and get the Remington 700TWS in .308 someday.

31 inch tires on factory rear tire mount

Tug said: Varmet or big game or just some where in between and why six shell?

Six shell really isnt the important thing just a nice magazine is all...as for shell size I really have no idea. All I have ever owned is shotguns and it would just be nice to hit something* at a farther distance than 25feet

*(varmet size on up to car size should I ever feel Gestapo like someday)

Just curious as to what everyone had and liked.

why a bolt action? what is keeping you from other options? the .30-06 seems to be a quite popular rifle... anything in the 30 caliber range is a good all around deal

Ways to get a higher idle?

16 cal. Rememington on one end of the scales with a muzzle speed that is so fast the critter you are shooting at is dead before you are recovering from the recoil at 200 yds; Then you can get yourself a 458 Weatherby That will kill a 2000 lb bear with no problem. The gun world is so diverse that you can have just about anything you could ever want to shoot just about anything you want. Question is just too general. tug

Bolt action because I shot one two weeks ago and liked it. Mainly because each bullet is accounted for. I think this is great for when teaching kids, wives, etc about gun safety.
Plus bolt-action a little bit for the nostalgic part of shooting.

I may do what Bounty is doing. Get one gun that will carry game loads and jacketed.

Just really curious and dont know much about rifles only shotguns.

If you want a good all-around rifle that will reach accurately to 300+ yards, and tame enough that the whole family can shoot it, stick with .223 caliber. Similar to what the M16 uses, very accurate, powerful, and reasonable on recoil.

The .223 is a very good all around round. With enough stopping power to drop small game at 300+ yards. Ruger make some very nice bolt actions in this round the M77 series with a bull barrle. I own a pre-ban Mini 14 semi auto-matic in .223 with a true folding stock the gun is accurate enough to place a 1.5 circle pattern at 200 yards with open sites.
If your looking for a heavyer load I would look at the .300 WSM. This is a necked down .300 win mag round that comes out with very surprising volicity ( 5680 FPS). With enough power at 300 yards to drop all US game animals. The Ruger M77 in .300WSM should run you around 400$ on the new market. Top that with a Lepold 56MM scope and I have seen shooters put 10 50 point centers at 300 yards.

Bounty and Utah thanks a ton for the info on rifle rounds and guns. I think I will go with a .223 seeing as how I wont be the only one shooting it. Thanks again for the info

The Mini-14 is a tack-driver with iron sights, helluva gun if you ever decide on a semi-auto.

My 300 savage is great. It holds 6 rounds, no mag. It is very accurate. It can hit things easily at 200 yards. I carry that and a .40 cal. when out hunting.

The .30-06 is available in many grain size bullets. I think it ranges from 125 grain to 220 grain. You can use the smaller grain for accurate distance shooting and the large for big game where you need more knockdown power. The only downside is that you need to re-sight every time you change grain size.
I use the 180 grain ballistic tip for deer hunting and have it sighted to shoot 300 yards comfortably using a Leupold 4.5-14x50mm VariX-III. The rifle is a Remington 742 Woodsmaster semi-automatic.

Back