Leaky Transfer case

jeepngeo

:-( :-? My transfer case has a very slow leak. I believe that it is coming out the seal where it connects to the front of the rear drive shaft. Has anyone had any experience with re-sealing this area or any recommendations. I am hoping to avoid an expensive repair. :cool: [addsig]

Speaking from a model 20 transfer case point of view. The pinion seal could have a bad place in it and need replacing. Under $50 to replace if you do the work your self and not to hard. I also had one that had a slow leak and I replaced everything new (yoke, seal etc) but still had a slow leak. Took the yoke back off and put sealer on the splines. Tightend back dow to 200 Ft pounds and that took care of that issue. Hope this info might give you some ideas.[addsig]

I replaced my seal, but the leak came back eventually. Then I noticed that I had some movement (up and down) when I shook the shaft where it enters the case. So, while you're at it, take the tail section off the transer case and replace the bushing in there. Chances are it's worn and the seal will only spoil again anyway. I'm told that the bushing is not expensive at all, even at the dealer. Good luck. [addsig]

:-D Thanks for the info. Exactly what seal and which bushing should I purchase for the T-case (89, 4.2, 5sp).[addsig]

i just had mine changed and make sure you go with the OEM seal ...... spend a few bucks more and get a quality seal that fits properly.

Craig[addsig]

changing the seal is very easy... bit if the bushing inside is bad... the seal will only be a temporary fix
[addsig]

Quadratec has the rear housing with the mainshaft rear bushing and the rear output seal for 60.00. Hopefully I won't find anymore problems. How much ATF does a T-case hold - my Haynes manual didn't say. Thanks for the input. :) [addsig]

Back