Learning to weld

82CJ7JEEP

Can anyone suggest literature/books/resources for one to teach themselves to weld? I have looked into the colleges/technical schools in my area and they all have classes, they are just during the day. I was told there was not enough interest for a night class. I have seen the work from alot of the guys in pics on the forum. Anything you can add/provide would be greatly appreciated. The welder I am considering is a 150 amp MIG. Thanks again.

The Lincoln welder I bought about 5yrs ago came with an instructional video that was pretty good as far as the basics. Check your public library for books on the subject. Haynes has a welding manual. My buddy gave me a book from a welding class that was helpful. That & some advice from friends who weld for a living is how I got started. Practice,practice,practice.....I'm not certified & some of my welds look like a line of boogers,but I can usually make 2 pieces of steel stick together.:eek:

As TLCJ5 said, "Practice, practice, practice...". Make yourself a carrier/dolly for your welder and other large tools you have around the garage.

Bacon

Like said above....practice, practice, practice. On a mig, once you learn how hot to burn, and get your feed speed right, then the concept is pretty simple. Strike your arc, and run your line one of two basic ways. 1: Form a puddle, and drag straight down slowly watching the liquid bubble following behind. 2: Start the arc, get your bubble and then make little "arches" or make little circles about the size of a dime. As you "swirl" around, on the "upstroke" you notice that the liquid metal "eats" unto the previous part of the weld. You want to "eat" into the cooler part just a little each time, slowing working your way towards yourself. With practice, you see the typical "weld" start to show. Stick welding is the same, but you have to remember to follow the stick in, as it is constantly getting shorter. In both cases, you want to hear the sound of bacon frying. Not enough "sizzle", turn up the heat. Too much, and you'll either burn through, or burn the wire up to the head causing it to stick. If you plan on laying anouther bead on or next to the previous one, you need to wire brush it and get all the slag off. All the crud left over from the time before will make the new weld not penetrate well. The main thing is to remember to "push" the little puddle of liquid metal around to make it do what you want. The process will be intimidating at first as it seems your dealing with an out of control electrical explosion. Just remember that you can in fact control it, and don't let the anxietly of it push you too fast. You can make it stop by letting off the trigger. You might start out by trying little button welds, overlapping them to get practice of "eating" into the previous button. Once you learn how to control that puddle, your well on your way. Once this is mastered, I advice IMMEDIATLY crawling under you rig and trying it upside down or uphill.:p Actually, those two aren't bad as long as you learn to manipulate that puddle. Later, Good Luck

Last edited:

Bobcat is correct ,its all about puddle control.Weather its mig, tig, or stick welding. Be careful about makeing cold welds,that is when ya havent got enough penetration in the weld. For a good weld,look at the edge of the weld,if it has an indent in to the metal,ya know ya got it right.If no indent,turning up the heat is necessary. If ya have an oxy aceetylene outfit you might want to consider learning how to braze first, that in my opinion would give you good cheap experience on controling molten metal, good luck.And practice practice practice.

Back