Liberty speedometer

jzjohnz

Hello; I've only been a member of this forum for a couple of months now and I'm also new to being a Jeep owner. I have a used 2006 Liberty 3.7L V6 w/AT and it has around 26k miles on and still has the stock tires that came with it. Although I'm not the original owner I'm pretty sure the tires are the originals (Goodyear Wranglers [don't remember size]).

One problem I'm having is that the speedometer reads around 5-7 mph faster than I'm actually going when it shows 75 mph. The difference is smaller the slower I'm going and the gap seems to widen as my highway speed increases. I checked it with a stop watch and the mile marker signs on the highway where I live and it consistently reads the same. At ~75 mph it clocks in at about 52 seconds. That says I'm really traveling at 68 mph. The odometer consistently checks in at about 1.05 miles between mile markers.

There are still a couple of months left on the original factory warranty and I'm wondering if it would cover something like that.

Another thing I'd like to get some opinions on is that the engine rattles somewhat noisily when it is first started after sitting for a day or two. I know that oil will drain away from bearing surfaces when a vehicle sits for a while, but is the rattling sound normal for the 3.7L engine or might there be some excessive wear from the original owner? Seems to me that the engine is too new to be making those kinds of sounds all ready. I use Amsoil 5-30 in it.

Thanks for the help....:-|

A Chrysler dealer should be able to take a look at the accuracy of your speedo under warranty. and yes, the Good year Wranglers are the factory tires. Look at your Oil fill Cap. the recomended oil is printed on top of the cap.

my liberty has the 2nd set of tires and the speedometer does the same thing and the engine makes the same noise for about 2 of 3 minutes in the morning.

Does the '06 use a gear driven speedometer? Is the speedo adjustable through the computer by the dealer?
Its a hall sensor speedometer. To a certain size, the overall tire size can be changed thru the DRB3 from the ABS module including the axle size calibration.

I think I'm just going to live with it that way because even if I didn't mind spending the money at the dealership, and I do, I fear that afterwards it still won't be fixed, plus, as a bonus, the module cluster will probably rattle and have something else wrong with it. Anyway I'm adjusting to the difference and kind of know what my real speed is to avoid tickets, and my radar detector helps me out a lot too.

But you're racking up miles quicker than what you should be, reducing your resale value.

Back