Looseness in the front end!

Josaff

So I had an alignment done and at the same time the tires balanced, seemed like a reasonable task for a recommended garage. Asked for stick-on weights so the would not get rubbed off, but was dismayed to see clip-on weights but not wanting to complain I drove off, which revealed the terrible shudder that started around 40 mph and remains constant but slightly lessen as you accelerate. I turned around and went in to talk with the owner, was told the have dynamic balancing beads(internal) so they would do this at no charge, I think great sounds like Dynabeads, which a friend has great things to say about!
Turns out it is some sort of powder that comes out each time I air down and sometimes makes the valve leak. Not so happy about that but the kicker is there is still that slight shudder, tires seem to be wearing ok but even after trying to rotate out what I thought might be a bad tire it is still there. It is not a death wobble I had that once but it seems to be the start of one. Any suggestions, I just swapped out the steering to the currie HD unit. Oh yeah it's an 04 TJ 6 cyl with a Clayton 4" long arm. I am left scratching my head here. It also clicks 3-4 times in first on acceleration from a start, and I just rebuild the rear drive shaft, diff maybe? Thanks in advance!

I take it this problem didnt exist before?
It sounds like the toe is off. Did they give you a print out of your alignment? If so post the values. If not they our that or a free realignment. you payed for the values not any green-red markers with no values.
Do a dry steering test looking for loose components. Include axel and u-joints. If you find anything wrong ask for a refund as they are to check components when doing the alignment. With the front end off the ground grab the tire at 3 & 9 o'clock and wiggle it to see if thereis any play. Also use a bar or board to lift the tire and inspect the ball joints.

You could try balancing the wheel without the tire or look for a bent wheel.

Thanks there is no slop in the balljoints and I have CTM u joints that are moving freely. I noticed a lot of slop in the tiny u joint in the steering shaft, I did get a print out and when I get home on sat I will post them so you can let me know if it seems right. It's funny they want to charge me for a 4 wheel alignment and I laughed out loud and asked if they could show me how to alight the rear wheels! Should have seen this coming I guess!

Back