Low/Fluctuating Oil Pressure after MC2100 swap

tcarp

Hey all, I put on the MC2100 carb last night with the adapter, throttle modification, new air breather, and electric choke. I do not have to worry about smog restrictions as i live in kansas, so i tried to remove as much of the vaccum components as possible. I capped off the egr valve, all the vaccum lines running to the old air breather, the thermal switch, etc. I moved the PCV valve to the front and ran a line into the carb port. I left the crankcase vent on the back open and did not run a vaccum line from it. I also hooked up the vaccum line from the distributor to the dist port on the carb. The jeep now idles great and I let it run to temp in the driveway with no issues. To make a long story longer, when I took it out for a test run I noticed the oil pressure was lower than normal, then it began to fluctuate quite a bit. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I'm sure its vaccum related, as I had no issues before replacing the carb. Its an 88 YJ with 88k original miles on the 258 engine. Any help would be great. I'm pretty lost on these vaccum lines. Thanks in advance....I need it haha

i don't think vacuum has anything to do with oil pressure. did the oil sening unit plug get knocked loose during all the work you did?

Did you just plug things on your own as you saw fit or did you “Nutter” it? If RPMs are within spec and idle is steady then the oil pump reading should not fluctuate except perhaps really low RPMs. (under spec RPMs) Here is a link to the Nutter procedure.

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/electrical/jn-ignition99/

I would be a little concerned about eliminating the EGR valve as the EGR lowers the combustion chamber temperature sustainably and in my opinion does a lot for extending engine life while elimination HC output at virtually no cost to engine performance.

Back