Move leaf springs to topside of axle ?

COPCO

My son has an '88 cherokee (4-door) with a '98 4.0 L engine in it and an automatic. I was told that the leaf springs can be changed from below the axle to resting on top of the axle. I've been building hot-rods forever but have never tried anything like this with a 4-wheeler. If this is done, does it need to have longer shocks and what happens to the steering geometry ? Does the pitman arm have to be replaced or modified ? Or should another approach be undertaken to the whole thing ? Thanks for any advise on this.
COPCO

Yes on Moving the Axle from the Top of the Leaf spring to the bottom. Yes on Longer Shocks, and Yes on Geometry change. Mostly the Center of your steering will change. i don't remember if the 88 Cherokee's has airbags, if it does, be carefull with the Clockspring behind the steering wheel. The pitman arm would be a good choice to replace with a drop. Your axle angles will also change. you can remedy this by using different angle wedges between the leafsprings and the axle perch. Consider replacing the front and rear brake hose to a longer one as well.

Thank you, Steelheadz, for the help on the spring relocation project. I appreciate it.
COPCO

Take a look under the back of your Cherokee, the rear springs are already on top of the axle. And the front uses coil springs, so longer springs are in order.

Back