MPG with your Jeep???

bluejeep

I’m looking a new jeep 03 or newer. I noticed that the 05 ones take more gas then the 04 or 03. I really don’t like the mpg #’s they are getting http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

A 05 6cyl auto -wrangler 18 hwy and 14 city.
An 04 6cyl auto wrang 20hwy and 16 city

What changed with in the 05 wranglers? Also are there anyways to improve this #? I can only think of a k&n air filter.

I do a lot of driving about 260 miles per week. That comes out be about $38 a week for gas! $150.40 a month!!!

I thinking about getting a Honda accord……………

I dont like discouraging people from getting a jeep but if you travel 260 miles a week and $150 is tapping you then go for the honda. My 2000 wrangler 4cyl got like 17 city/20 highway. My 1999 Grand Cherokee V8 gets like 13 city and 19 highway. Not great on gas!

bluejeep said:
I thinking about getting a Honda accord……………

:crazy: Dude, that's just crazy talk.

I've never heard anyone accuse a Jeep of being economical. My 04 gets about 14-15 in the city. I don't know what changed or why it would go down on an 05.

I get about 17.5 combined driving in my XJ with stock gears, 31's and an auto transmission.

If you want a TJ, and you want fuel economy get a 4 banger with a 5 speed. Better yet get the new ones with the 6 speed gearboxes.

You should get at least 20 mpg with as stock 4 banger/5 speed if you drive it like you want to save gas

Although I'm not familiar with the TJ's or the 6 cyl engines, I would think there are still some things you could do to raise your mileage. And remember, fuel economy ratings on new vehicles are rated at the highest altitude they can be driven at most of the time (at least that's what the Ford rep told me). That way, the actual mileage is as good or better than advertised. If it was tested at lower altitudes, the folks in Denver would be throwing a hissy because they weren't getting 20 mpg!!

As for my 4-banger '94 YJ, it got 14 mpg when I put the bigger tires on. After removing the intake air restrictor, adding an electric fan, an AirAid TBS, putting in Bosch Platinum Plus 4 plugs, and adding 1 oz of acetone per 10 gallons of gas at each fill up, I get an average of 23 mpg, but have gotten as high as 26.6 mpg when I really drive it nice (but we all know that's no fun!).

Last edited:

I have an 02, slightly modded and this winter I figured out my milage as 15 to 16 mpg. I'm not happy with that because of gas prices but I do love my jeep. I'll take the whipping at the pump. Someday though, I will get an economy car and have my cake and eat it too!

Lady

Sitting on 35 inch tires with 4:56 gears my 01 TJ with 4.0L and the Auto trans I get 15.5 MPG.
Will be throwing in a TH700R this summer for the over drive.
But you can do the Cold air intake, Bora Header with #4 cat back system. and run a electric fan.

bluejeep said:
How you get 10MPG?
Is your jeep your only car?

Well I do have a car, a 67 mustang that gets maybe the same MPG.

I think it's due to the tired 4.0 with 212K on it, not to mention the 36x14.5s I'm pushin around. I regeared to 4.56... waiting for a new engine.

I don't care about mileage really, have a 5 mile commute.

Really depends on how you drive it... my '93yj 4 banger sitting on 31's averages around 19... i guess highway and city since when i checked i had driven both... o and that includes the at least 2 mandatory trail rides in four wheel drive a week... working on saving up for a borla exhaust, k&n air filter, and an airade tbs to hopefully push it up into the 20's

Joopin said:
Well I do have a car, a 67 mustang that gets maybe the same MPG.

I think it's due to the tired 4.0 with 212K on it, not to mention the 36x14.5s I'm pushin around. I regeared to 4.56... waiting for a new engine.

I don't care about mileage really, have a 5 mile commute.

Prolly has more to do with the abuse the skinny pedal takes, right?:purple:

Hmm wonder what im doing wrong.. I have a 2002 TJ with a 4.0.. automatic transmission, stock axles and 30x 9.5 tires.. i get 12 miles per galllon on the highway.. and if i pull a trailer i get 8.. i guess my gear ratio is whats doing it i have 3.73's in the axles according to the tags on em.. I have done no mods at this time my understanding is the 30inch tires were an option so i think the stealership would have known how to recal the speedo and odometer to match.. I think it is set right because on my truck with stock tires it was 138 miles from my house to my dads. and with the jeep im showing 138.5 so i believe it to be calibrated right..

Calvin
82 CJ 7
31x 10.5

02 TJ Wrangler sport
30x 9.5

Sparky-Watts said:
Prolly has more to do with the abuse the skinny pedal takes, right?:purple:

Youre probably right, my mustang was my first car, bought it almost 10 years ago and with it I developed a heavy right foot on pretty much anything I drive.

Originally Posted by Utah_jeepster said:
Sitting on 35 inch tires with 4:56 gears my 01 TJ with 4.0L and the Auto trans I get 15.5 MPG.

TwistedCopper said:
Damn that's pretty good!

Well TC it might also help that I have re-geared my transmission but most people don't have that option nor wish to take the time or money. The shift from first to second is a neck breaker.
Also I drive the freeway only during the week. its the stop and go that kills my mileage.

I typically get around 12 or 13 out of my 4cyl TJ... with 30" tires... now thats sickening.

Nathan

i was getting aroudn 14 with my yj on 35s, 2.5, 4.10s and a 4spd transmission. i dont know what ill get now with 38's and 5.13's

Does anyone remember what the formula was to figure your mpg after going to a larger tire size with out changing your speedo gear? it was divide something by the old tire size then multiply it by something etc... It was on an old post which I cannot find. I think Sparky or TC gave it to me, if that helps.

Nick

Back