Mr. Heat Miser

jeepngeo

:evil: Does anyone else have a 258 that puts off enough heat to thaw an iceberg? I have my carpet removed and after driving for 15 minutes the transmission hump gets extremely hot. In the winter that would be good. In FL in the summer - not good.

I have put in a new water pump, coolant, hoses, cap and a 180 degree thermostat. My gauge reads +/- 200 after it gets warmed up (which is what it read prior to the new t-stat).

I do not have anyleaks or holes and it doesn't matter if I am cruising at 50 or stopped in traffic.

Should I go to a 160 t-stat? New radiator (3 core, does it really make a difference)?

Until I figure this out I will e driving in a pool of my oun sweat. UGH! Any help or an I've been there will be appreciated. :-x [addsig]

If you have your carpet out it lets the heat in. The padding and the carpet act as a heat shield. All vehicles get hot in that area. If you don't want carpet you may have to make a heat shield for underneath.[addsig]

Running without a thermostat is NOT a good idea. The coolant fluid will not stay in the radiator long enough to cool. Go with a 195 degree thermostat. That will keep the fluid in the radiator longer, allowing it to cool better. Also if you have an auto trans, get yourself an external trans cooler (looks like a mini radiator). The only other thing that you can do is just what Jay89 suggested, and that to install something like styrofoam padding to the underside of the transmission hump.

good luck, hope I helped.[addsig]

Glass79CJ5dude

Great info,
Damn Glad you're here Sir,

I hope to continue to learn,
From YOUR bloody knuckles.:-D

thank you, and welcome. :cool: [addsig]

Hey, no problem. I've got 15 years as a mechanic under my belt, but only about 2 and a half on Jeeps. So anytime I can help, I'll give it my best shot.[addsig]

Put the carpet or another insolation sourse in the Jeep to cool down the tub :cool: [addsig]

Thanks for setting me straight sir! Like the man said glad to have you aboard. I had run with out a thermostat for a whole summer one year with out an evident problem, could have been hurting myself and did not know it. tug[addsig]

:-( Thanks for the replys. I guess I was hoping for that amazing, perfect fix. I took the carpet out because when it would get wet, it would stay wet underneath which finally equaled a rusted floor board. Oh well, back to the drawing board. :) [addsig]

:oops: The gauge seems to work normally, sometimes erratically, although I am going to install a new sending unit just in case. Also I just purchased a new 3 core radiator off e-bay for $167 which may help a little (current origional radiator is a bit clogged). May as well change out the entire cooling system. :-O [addsig]

I hope you don't run into fan cleanance issues with your new 3 core radiator! On my CJ-5, the fan + clutch = real close to the stock radiator ( a 2 core wimpy thing) after installing my 3 core, the fan hit it! I ended up removing the fan & clutch for a flex fan.
I had other issues( transmission was positioned wrong after work performed by transmission shop) Motor mounts were blown, and when they reinstalled the stock transmission, the mounting holes didnt line up, so they cut new ones! (didn't realize the monumantal fu%$## they did till many yrs later) All fixed proper now! :-D

Oh, as for the heat thing, yeah, my transmission pan get's real warm as well, and yes, it's a plus in the winter. I have only a bikini top, so most of the heat is blown away.

Good luck....

[addsig]

Ok are you having the problem where you shift to a certain gear and the tempature jumps way up and then in lower gears it runs a little warm....and after running at highway speeds and come to a stop light it jumps up???? If any of theese sound famillar let me know I have the solution for your problem...... :-D [addsig]

Back