My engine's a whistlin

bodega770

I have a 94 cherokee that when decelerating sometimes, makes a high pitched whistling noise coming from the engine. It only occurs while my foot is off the gas, no matter the speed that I am traveling at. The brakes dont affect the noise at all. It only whistles sometimes, usually after driving for an extended period of time, but the noise does not occur everyday. I read somewhere that it may be the alternator, but all electrical devices are working full power in the car, so im not sure what it is. Has anybody had this problem?[addsig]

It could be a vacuum leak. I had a vacuum leak in my Power brake booster that would occasionally squeal when I wasn't accelerating. This is because when you accelerate there is less vaccum present. If I accelerated hard then pulled my foot off the accelerator, I'd hear the sqealing sound very loud. Also keep in mind it could be a leaking vacuum line in the A/C controls, Cruise Control, Etc..

-Nick[addsig]

I've heard things like a whistling from the engine could be like the intake gasket.

But I'm not sure on that.
pinaplebob[addsig]

A cheap propane hand torch form your local hardwear can help you find a leak. don't light it just turn it on start the jeep and carefully pass it over the vac lines when the engin speeds up you have found it. CAREFUL is the word here. |tug
[addsig]

hey! Mine does it tooo... but it only does it around 2250 or so rpms.... really sucks on the highway when you set cruise and it happens to run right around that rpm range... anyone think that might be a vacuum related issue as well?? the noise really bothers me cause i don't know what it is... so far the only quick fix i found is to go Faster!!! :-D

-Nathan

edited by: FLpilot, Apr 27, 2003 - 07:37 PM[addsig]

Back