N.J lift laws.

JETSJEEP

N.J lifted Jeep laws does anybody know the details on whats the limit before the special test? And what will pass the test? Thanks

Try looking here

Vehicle Limitations - NJ | The New Rules Project

From what I have heard in the past.If any mods are done you have to take it to the tilt test.That is where they will loosely chain your jeep to a tilt table and start tilting it sideways.If the tires come off the ground you fail.That is all roamer that i have heard,but have heard it from a lot of Different people.You also have to remember if you goto a different state you have to be legal in that state also.I live in PA and next weekend is the Off road Jamboree.The police love to sit near the grounds entrance and hand out tickets to modified vehicales that do not pass PA laws.Normally people from NJ,since there laws allow much higher lifts.Best thing to do if your not sure is call DOT and ask.

"if you go to a different state you have to be legal in that state also"--You only have to be legal in the state your vehicle is registered to. This falls under the Federal laws that protect a States sovereignty. all those NJ guys can fight the tickets and get them thrown out, they can also get the PA cops in some seriously deeeeeeeep stuff for knowingly violating a federal law as a peace officer.

"if you go to a different state you have to be legal in that state also"--You only have to be legal in the state your vehicle is registered to. This falls under the Federal laws that protect a States sovereignty. all those NJ guys can fight the tickets and get them thrown out, they can also get the PA cops in some seriously deeeeeeeep stuff for knowingly violating a federal law as a peace officer.

This is not what I have heard... I have heard of many tickets for things such as fender coverage of tires, lift, etc...

I have never heard of that..As far as I know you have to be legal for the state you drive in.If what you say is true then why did I get a ticket for not wearing a helmet on bike in another state.PA has a no helmet law.I tried to fight it and the judge said tuff there law says helmet must be on all the time,I only tried to fight it hoping the officer didnt show up,but he did and I lost.I also have a few State police friends and they will give you a ticket if it is not legal in PA.Another one that gets tickets alot is NY with tinted windows.NY laws on tint is very relaxed PA is not.

i agree with xt and i dont. i think you have to be legal in the state your driving in on some things but not sure if all apply. i think only traffic laws apply and not vehicle registration ones. for instance i live in TN and have no smog laws. If I were just visiting CA i dont think they could give me a ticket for violating smog if I didnt live there. I have a couple of friends that are cops but any cop that sits outside a 4x4 event and tries to write tickets is a sorry human being. Why dont they spend their time trying to catch drug dealers or child molestors and leave regular people alone just trying to enjoy life!

They dont pull over every little violation,but if they have a reason to pull you over they tend to add all the other citations.There are tons of cops around for the event due to the large amount of people.Last year each day had 100k plus people.Every one know what happens with that many people in a small area drinking.Alot of showing off and attempts to drag race and so on.So when they pull you over they start writing a nice long list.Only time they would bother you is if they think it is a safety hazard.One that really bothers them is the tires past the fenders,and the bumper heights.PA law on bumpers is to protect smaller vehicles so if there is an accident you bumper does not go over hood and into the windshield.

Maximum Height
Vehicle Class Front Bumper Rear Bumper

Passenger cars 22 inches 22 inches
Trucks and multipurpose passenger Vehicles
5,000 lbs. or less GVWR 24 inches 26 inches
5,001 lbs.—7,000 lbs. GVWR 27 inches 29 inches
7,001 lbs.—9,000 lbs. GVWR 28 inches 30 inches
9,001 lbs.—11,000 lbs. GVWR 30 inches 30 inches

Not sure how the Feds tie in to all of this but to support the above statements, this is how it applies in California...

Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:
  • Accept gainful employment in California.
  • Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
  • Rent or lease a residence in California.
  • Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
  • Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).
California DMV HTVR9 - How To Register A Out-of-State Vehicle (Nonresident Vehicle)

I don't know, I only worked for the DMV for a few years, my dad worked for the DMV for 30+ years so I guess all the literature on respecting other states vehicle registration laws was all BS. As long as you are legal in the state you are registered to the other states can NOT issue you a ticket for something that is illegal in their state if it is legal in the state you are registered in. GO Ask your friendly local DMV agents or highway patrol officers since they deal with it daily.

I don't know, I only worked for the DMV for a few years, my dad worked for the DMV for 30+ years so I guess all the literature on respecting other states vehicle registration laws was all BS. As long as you are legal in the state you are registered to the other states can NOT issue you a ticket for something that is illegal in their state if it is legal in the state you are registered in. GO Ask your friendly local DMV agents or highway patrol officers since they deal with it daily.

Did I read your first response incorrectly? I thought we were agreeing that if you're just passing through, you are okay as long as the vehicle is legally registered in your home state. Isn't that what you said?

In California, it's kind of tied to residency. As long as you are a non-resident (don't live, work or go to school in California) drive on! But once you become a resident so is your vehicle and it's gotta meet CA standards.

Could you imagine trying to drive cross-county on vacation if you had to comply with every state's list of rules and regs? It would definately make backyard vacations look appealing.

You are right on Phil. we do agree if you are passing through you are fine. you are reading the second response wrong as it is kind of smartelic. the ability to register a vehicle is directly tied to residency. Here in Az you will get a ticket if you are an Az resident and your vehicle is registered in another state. You must register all your vehicles in the state where you claim residency. There is a sketchy line with some issues though. For instance you own land in Ca. Have a vehicle in Ca. You move to Az change your residency to Az, although you still own land in Ca. and your vehicle registered in Ca. is going to stay there and only be used there. Technically you are supposed to get it registered in the state you are a resident of, although 9 times out of 10 Ca will still allow you to register your vehicle there (although i do not know why you would want to). However you decide to drive that vehicle back to Az for whatever reason get pulled over and now you get a ticket for having your vehicle registered in another state. As for XT's question. Helmets do NOT apply to a motorcycle as a vehicle since the helmet is NOT part of the vehicle They apply to the person who is riding the vehicle. Nv. Has a helmet law Az does not. They can get you for not wearing a helmet but can not get you for anything you do to your bike that is illegal in their state and legal in yours.

Back