Need Ideas - Nearing End of Refurbishment

phillika

I'm spending over $10K getting my black '81 CJ refurbed (see before photo below). It's nearing completion and I need some ideas on the finishing touches. The place that's doing the refurb recommended stainless steel hinges (hood, door, windshield, and tailgate) due to durability. With durability taken into account, I didn't want to my CJ to OD on chrome. I don't really like the chrome (or stainless) look anyway...especially when it looks overdone...so I declined that suggestion and requested they put on the normal painted hinges.

Now I have a few more decisions to make. Their normal refurb package puts in a tuffy locking stereo center console...with the stereo mounted in the console and a chrome dash/gauge plate surrounding the center guages and covering the original stereo hole (on the dash). I'm not sure I like this...both the chrome and stereoless dash bug me a little.

Firstly, I'm wondering if there's any other guage plate available besides the smooth chrome one that is so often available in catalogs, etc. Know of any? Are the black guage cover plates similar to the stock one on Laredos available?

Secondly, I can probably get used to the stereo mounted in the locking center console but has stereo theft been a big problem for other CJ owners?

I have had a soft top/soft door CJ now for over 3 years with a $300 removable face stereo mounted in the dash. I'd typically take the face off and throw it in the unsecured center console...never had a problem. I know there is theft with Jeeps (especially soft tops), but I'm wondering if it's really worth it to put the stereo in the center console rather than the dash?

Recommendations????

Thanks,

Ken

Before:

image-missing.png

Frame...Before new Axles:

image-missing.png
[addsig]

wow that's quite a project... i wanna see more pics![addsig]

Looks like you are going to have a great ride very soon! Like Henery Ford said you can have it any color you want as long as you want black! As for the stainless I want stainless on every moving body part wise all the better on black. That is just me! Middle Age Breakdown you know! As for the dash you can see several different items for the dash if you look around I plan to go with a very stock dash set up only changeing over to a white face gauge kit to lighten up the dark look on my YJ. Sound system can be taken no matter where you put it lock only keep out the honest folk. To me the question is how much damage are they going to do getting it out of my Jeep. Better to loose a system with no damage then to have em beat the crap out of the interior. The questions you need to be asking is, Where I live and drive and park what is the chances of someone stealing my stuff. I run an Awai Mp3 system in my Jeep it has a self flipping face for when I park. So Far So Good. Put yourself in a CB with a good looking antena mount. Interior lights are a real pro for me, I like to see. That all for me tonight but you sure seem to be on top of that there CJ. Good Luck Tug
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Thanks for the input. As for pictures, the shop that's doing the refub has a site where they post photos of the ongoing work. My refurb pictures are at:

Ken's CJ-7 Being Refurbished

I was going to wait a while longer to refurb it but the body needed it sooner or later and the "sooner" was the choice when I accidentally blew the engine last Aug.
image-missing.png

At any rate, it's been being refurbed since late Aug and it looks like it'll be ready early Dec. Maybe I can consider it a Christmas present to myself.
image-missing.png

[addsig]

Go to Austinjeeps.com, they have the original black gauge cover on that sight somewhere. [addsig]

Wow!! Thanks!! I just checked AustinJeeps.com and saw the covers. That's the first time I've ever seen the black overlays. With that in mind, I'm now wondering whether I should go with that vs. a chrome one with the thought that maybe a wee bit of chrome may not be bad as opposed to a black overlay on a black dash.

I know I'm being indecisive but the finishing touches are always the hardest. I just have to think about it a little.[addsig]

Do you like your stereo? I mean, is it an expensive one? Yes, theft can and is a problem in jeeps. More so in some area's less in others. What will kill your stereo, is mother nature! Eventually, the windshield will start to leak, and guess where it's gonna leak at?

Having the stereo installed in the console is a good thing, it will prevent theft (if locked up) and will protect it from the elements. I've gone through 3 stereo's in the 20+yrs I've had my CJ-5, now I don't have one, as I never really used it while wheeling, and could never hear it while driving on the highway anyway. Besides, there's always somebody on the trail with a much louder system.

The stainless steel stuff is also a good idea. It won't rust as you know. The paint on the normal hinges will at some point start to peel. Anything that can be doe to minimize rust should be taken into consideration now, cuz later, it will happen.

For 10K, I hope the shop sandblasted the frame, and body, repaired any rust, by cuttin it out, or replacing the body parts, painted the frame with a good quality paint such as POR15 (or equivelent) Rebuilt the axles(or new axles), with new componetns (bearings, seals, shafts etc...) With those big wheels, installed the proper ring & pinon 's. Rebuilt the motor and Installed fuel injection.

What size wheels and lift will your ride have when the refurb. is done? Lockers?

[addsig]

Thanks for the input. I'll probably just watch the hinges very closely over the years. I don't mind slight imperfections of paint peeling off...I'll keep an eye you for signs of rust and stop it before it ever starts. Worst case scenario, the timing may not be ideal, but I can always get stainless hinges later. Good point about the stereo. I think I've decided to just get used to having it in the console.

As for what the shop is doing, the answer is yes to everything except fuel injection...I never asked for it and the engine ran ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFULLY before I blew it...this shop did the first engine rebuild. It'll be virtually new once it's complete. Also the Jeep had quite a few upgrades even before the refurb. I guess when I add it up, it should actually come shy of $10K...maybe even around $9K or slightly less depending on the finishing touches.

It has 38.5 x 15 Groundhogs with about 7-8" lift. It'll stay that way after the refurb. If you looked at the refurb photos via the link, the frame/engine that the body is sitting on in the last several pictures is a different frame. The shop used it instead of mine to prep, prime and paint the body because the lift on my frame made it more difficult for them to work on the body. I also had them close up the holes where the side tail lights were so the Jeep will just have the normal rear tail lights once it's done.[addsig]

Back