Need some expert advice!

Millstoneman

Hey guys. I did it. I recently bought a new 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock. My first ever new vehicle. I rented a Wrangle Unlimited to see if I liked the vehicle. I loved it but wasn't crazy about the auto transmission as it lugged down to 1300 rpms before downshifting on a slight incline. It has the 3:1 gearing. I test drove a Rubicon with manual trans and 4:1 gearing. Buzzy on the highway 70mph = 3000rpms and rowing through the six speed wasn't appealing. So I split the difference with 3:7 gearing and auto trans thinking my off roading may or may not be that severe and I need to travel to my destinations on freeways. If I decide in the future that I want the lower gearing (4:1) what is involved in the conversion? I'm getting differing answers from factory mechanics. One indicated that all you would do is switch out the gears, another said gears and (housing?) needed to be swapped ($6500 est cost! Ouch!!!) Does anyone here really know what is involved and who is best qualified to do this type of work? Thanks for any knowledgeable responses? To any purisits out there, I do own a fabulous, original 1952 M-38 Korean War jeep with the fording kit. Fun and slow!

Welcome to jeepz! I don't know much about your gearing question but I would like to see some pics of both jeeps. Especially the 52

deff have to gut the tcase and install new gears, don't know about the case but it is possible because I believe they are different.
so you basically at the same spot, you don't know, lol. sorry

I'm not familiar with the 'Hard Rock' model of your Rubicon, but in the past all Rubicons came with 4:1 gearing in the transfer case and 4:11 gears in the axle differentials. Can you elaborate on where the 3.7 gearing is you speak of? This way we can better advise on the difficulty/expense of regearing down the road.

Back