New belly up skid plate

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm planning a belly up skid plate install (essentially replacing the stock skid plate and raising everything up a couple of inches). I just received a 2" deep skidplate from Barnes4wd - I only paid $143 including shipping (a smoking deal if you ask me). Everything else was twice that price for a thinner skid.

IMG_0428-barnes4wd-skid.JPG

IMG_0429-barnes4wd-skid.JPG

IMG_0430-barnes4wd-skid.JPG

My only real concern now is how to attach the transmission mount to the skid. The stock one has bolts coming down, through the skid plate, with nuts on the bottom:

IMG_0432-barnes4wd-skid.JPG

I can easily replicate this, but it'll kind of kill the smooth bottom thing I'll have going. Does anyone know a good way to mount the transmission to the skid that will prevent the long bolts from hanging down? My two requirements are no welding and no poly mounts.

I wouldn't mind adding a plate on top of the skid, but my welding skills aren't quite up to it.

I've looked for low profile mounts, and the only one that I've found is the lopro by UCF, but it isn't compatible with the 42RLE (automatic) transmission. I'll probably end up doing the same thing as the stock plate in the short term.

Terry, Good choice on that skid plate. I think I mentioned it in the other thread where I recommended this skid, if not here is my suggestion.

I prefer to NOT mount the trans to the skid plate. I usually use two bushings (always use type that is the same as motor mount bushings) and I build a simple cross member dedicated for the trans that is attached to the sides of the frame. I have made these out of 2x3 stock in the past since it is pretty cheap, I am now making them out of 1.5 .25 wall DOM. That way I can put bends in the tube to get the placement at the frame and under the trans spot on.

A number of benefits to this method is that, those nuts won't get destroyed by the trail, less little things hanging down to get snagged on. Less things to do to get to the trans to service, and lastly, less impact when comming off a ledge is transfered to the drivetrain since it is self supported.

If push comes to shove, use the old skid as a templet and drill the holes for hte trans mount.

regarding welding, an employee at a muffler shop will generally weld something for you if you dangle $10 in front of them.

Terry, Good choice on that skid plate. I think I mentioned it in the other thread where I recommended this skid, if not here is my suggestion.

I prefer to NOT mount the trans to the skid plate. I usually use two bushings (always use type that is the same as motor mount bushings) and I build a simple cross member dedicated for the trans that is attached to the sides of the frame.

Thanks for the suggestion Johnny, I ordered the Barnes skid after you mentioned. I love the "ships next day or shipping is free".

As to the crossmember, that's a great idea. Something like this:

tmount1.jpg

I've got plenty of time to install this, so I may go ahead and make a crossmember. Thanks for the idea.

Back