New tires

NormanW

I put some new tires on our '93 Cherokee this weekend. We had
P235/75-15 Pathfinders that provide a good ride, but wore out rather quickly. Our replacement tires are LT235/75-15 BF Goodrich All Terrain TA-KOs. The ride difference is incredible. I have not had them off-road yet, but their on-road manners are great. They don't move around on broken pavement like the old one did and they are whisper quiet. The dirt road we live on is smoother with these tires too. The only thing I have noticed is that on ribbed concrete freeways, they tend to wander just a little bit where the Pathfinders did not. It is nothing that would lead to alarm, but it is there. I think my mileage has dropped just a bit, but won't know for sure until I fill up again. I'll have to avoid correcting my speed-o till I know for sure.

I´ve noticed the difference in the design and siffness of the sidewalls, has some relation to wander. The wander is usually there, due to alignment, slightly worn front end parts (that add up) or a worn track bar (common), but is more noticeable with different tire brands. Slightly higher air pressure has helped a bit with the wander, on my XJ´s. The track bar was usually the culprit.
I´ve heard good things about Goodrich AT´s.

definitely a great tire... in fact, the only tire i use on my cherokee. my biggest complaint is their traction in thick mud. they tend to clog up quickly and lose all their grip. i guess thats where the winch and a few able-bodied passengers come in handy :D

How much lift?

Hard to find a tire that will handle everything. But generally the AT´s do well in most situations.
I have a set of Goodyear MT´s on oné of my trucks, that don´t shed mud well. It builds up, traction goes quick. A set of goodyear AT´s on a similiar truck often does better, because they don´t pick up as much mud and the edge cleats get at least some kind of traction.
On many icy and packed snow streets, the AT´s will often do better, than a more aggresive tire. Seems many smaller ridges, often do a better job of finding traction, than a few big cleats.

Back