New to me

Yes, drive your jeep in 2Hi. If you have your owners manual it will tell you not to drive on hard surfaces in 4wd. Puting the tcase in neutral is just like putting the trans in neutral.
Turning on asphalt in 4wd puts your drivetrain in a bind, the front is wanting to go one direction and the rear is wanting to go strainght and you can feel a skiping kind of afftect as the rear is wanting to continue to push the front straight. That is not good on ujoints and axleshafts. On dirt, sand, mud, snowy road ect... the loose surface allows the front tires to slip alittle as you turn not binding the drivetrain.
Just a added note since you say you are new to this,, If you put your jeep in lowrange 4wd, you may have to put your trans in neutral to take it out of low. I have had some jeeps that wouldnt come out of low unless I was in nuetral or reverse, in reverse I would have to back up a foot or so as I shifted the shifter, others just shifted fine.

Last edited:
What's a YK?

And neutral at the transfer case is not like neutral in the transmission, especially when flat-towing. Putting an auto transmission in neutral to flat-tow will burn up the transmission.

Yeah you are right about flat towing. I should have mentioned that. I was just saying with the tcase in nuetral he wouldnt go anywhere as with the trans in nuetral.

Back