New tub, no vin plate

B'ham Jeeper

A friend of mine purchased a 78 CJ several years ago. It was not running but is now, now he needs to get it registered in AL. As I stated above, it has a new tub but the Vin tag did not get moved. Does anyone make these or know whats next?

Most likely he will have to get a reconstructed title if he can find something with the old VIN on it or title it like a kit car or street rod. Laws vary somewhat by state. He should check with an attorney in AL.

Most states require it be inspected by the State Police or Highway Patrol so a custom vehicle VIN can be issued and applied. This often requires presenting a bill of sale for for every major component used to build the vehicle and the VIN of every donor vehicle that supplied the major components.

It is a felony to remove or tamper with a VIN plate on a vehicle so don't try to buy a plate or otherwise transfer a VIN plate.

Thanks for the info guys. I had no idea...I know you used to be able to buy a replacement plate when doing restoration work. I will tell him to head to the DMV with all his paper work to get a replacement. I know won't mean what the old tag did but oh well....

Back