Newb question about Tj's

jake7030

Can you tell me the main difference in performance between the 4 cycl and 6 cycl jeeps. What performance would I expect and if the 4 banger could do all the 6 banger could.

thanks in advance and sorry for such a dumb question

bedliner

With a 6 cly you gain the extra torque needed to for prolong climbs and pulling power. But you sacrifice gas milage for this. The 6 can run the air in the summer time without the great loss of power to pass and or climb the hills.
For off roading the 6 has the nessasary power to climb over obsacles that you would need to finaness using a 4 either power clutching it or higher RPM's.
The best way for you to tell is to go take a test drive both and feel the diffrence.
Personaly I enjoy the added power and torque the 4.0 I-6 delivers for off-roading in the Moab area over the 2.5 I-4

Engine coughing?

I've had both... Right now I'm driving the 4 and I'd trade it for the 6 cycl in a heartbeat.

As for the gas mileage thing-- all jeeps suck when it comes to that! If a couple of miles to the gallon is a big deal for you go with the 4... but if you want to be able to make it up little hills without having to downshift, go for the 6!!!!

I've had both as well, my first jeep was a 4 cylinder after i started to do alot of off roading a traded it in for 6...as the tool man says..more power argh argh argh!

depending on your driving style, the 6cyl can be as good, or better than the 4cyl on gas... you can drive at a much lower rpm for a given speed due to the power allowing for better gearing

Offroad it's tough to tell a difference, the 4banger has lower axle gearing to help compensate for the lower torque and HP. The only place I've seen the downside of a 4banger offroad is in deep mud where you need lots of HP, other than that it's a toss up.

Remember that the 4banger is easier to maintain, 2 fewer cylinders to buy for and it's a lot more room to work on the engine. Fewer broken parts like rear axleshafts, lower HP has some benefits :p

I like my 4banger, even after previously owning a 4.2L YJ that I converted to a 350 v8 :twisted: It revs high, it's light and stable, and is a blast to drive after a few power mods.

The 4 cyl will be hurting if you put bigger tires on even with the lowere gear ratios. The 4.0 has the torque to help out with bigger tires and pulling hills in the woods. It's awesome to hear the 4.0 bouncing off the rev limiter too.
I had a 93 Grand C that never saw much trail action but ran very good. On one occassion I outran a 95 Z71 on and old country road and I had a canoe on the roof. Left him sitting there.

Xmas gift - Like a bad dream

Code:
It's awesome to hear the 4.0 bouncing off the rev limiter too.

I still have yet to hear that... i want to... but NOT in mine

who has the most post?

joejeepny said:
Dont even consider the 4cyl. Period.

Why be so closed minded, there's thousands of satisfied 2.5L jeep owners. I wouldn't trade mine for a 4.0L, it does everything I want it to. To each their own.

steering wheel squeak

most rock crawlers around here are 4-banger autos believe it or not. I have a cj7 I6 w/stick, my wife has a yj I6 auto, my sister has a yj 4-banger w/stick and my parents have a yj 4-banger w/stick. they are all happy with their ollllo. if it were me and I had to choose between two jeeps same shape, same miles, and same mods. I would pick the six hands down.

lmao boston.......... I never looked at it like that before

Consumers Products tested the 2002 or was it the 2003 Wrangler SE

They concluded the I-4 with automatic is SOOOOOOO underpowered it might in fact be DANGEROUS !!!!

They were talking about having to mount a steep uphill freeway ramp
they said you would hit the slow lane doing about 30-35mph which could get you K I L L E D !!!!!!

<<<<<ALTERNATIVE >>>>
Get the I-4 and buy a PAXTON SUPERCHARGER kit which will upgrade the hp about 50%

HOWEVER,
A paxton kit will cost you about $3000.00

IF
this is you're daily driver during the life of this Jeep you would no doubt recoup you're 3 grand in street fuel savings.

IF
this Jeep is a weekend warrior,
Get the 4.0L

!

sillsmack said:

They concluded the I-4 with automatic is SOOOOOOO underpowered it might in fact be DANGEROUS !!!!

they said you would hit the slow lane doing about 30-35mph which could get you K I L L E D !!!!!!
Sounds a bit out there :roll:

Dude, if you pulled your 4.0 wrangler up beside my 2.5l and you didn't have your junk RIGHT, I'd have smoked your ass like a pack of marlboros. It just depends on what you want to do. The four cylinder costs more money in the long run. You have to build it more, run it harder, and keep your rig as light as possible. The 4.0 is easy, just a couple of mods and you are there.
I would have to say the 4.0 is a better choice all around, but don't be scared of the 2.5l you can have lots of fun with that engine too.

Bounty__Hunter said:
sillsmack said:

Sounds a bit out there :roll:

Yeah I'd agree the 2.5 gets 147 hp and 165 lb. ft., most of the 4.2's produced got only slightly more torque and ended up with a lot less horsepower than that.

Back