off road lights

73cj5guy27

ok so my 73 cj5 has the KC off road lights on the windshield but along with the lift kit mess and different size bolt mess on seats i notice the guy before me had them wired with speaker wire. since he did this could they be bad cause i hooked one up to a battery and nothing and i tired off road lights i have laying around and they work when hooked up to battery. any ideas and could i replace the bulbs on these

There is a good chance that the wiring blew the bulbs(bulbs make great fuses).You can get KC bulbs from just about anywhere they sell KC lights. Before you buy new bulbs,you may want to check the lights with an ohm meter...with a good bulb you should see just about a dead short thru the lights(the bulb filament may show a small resistance,but you will see continuity). If the bulb is bad it will be wide a** open.

Also look at how the housing comes apart to remove/replace the bulb. Mine have screws that have rusted. You might ask for some new screws along with new bulbs. Treat teh screws before replacing so you don't have this issue in the future.
One last thing use the correct wiring sizes and a fuse. Actually search wiring on KC's website they have a good diagram. I just posted this somewhere.

ya im going to check the bulbs and then see and if thats it then that will be good but ill let u guys know what i find out

another agree.. get RID of the speaker wire.. NOT intended for high wattage/current carrying capabilities..

ya i got rid of all that crap. but i took my ohm meter to them and one is dead and the other seems to be working but still cant get it to light up even on my truck that has off road lights. so i dont know what the deal is but i will run it with out them for a while

Back