Oil capacity...

Joopin

Super Moderator

Well I'm finally getting around to changing the oil in my 91 YJ after owning it for about 3 months... but when I bought it I noticed I didnt get an owners manual for the Jeep. What I need to know is the Oil Capacity for the 4.0 litre I-6 engine ('91)... I'm assuming its around 4 quarts but I wanted to check with someone who actually has a manual first. any help would be great, thanks![addsig]

my 4.2 I6 takes about 6 quarts....i know the 4.o is smaller but i cant see it being too far off from what my motor takes...hope this helps you a bit.....oh yeah you can always do an internet search...lots of good stuff there[addsig]

Thanks I don't know why I didn't think of that... other sites are saying 6 quarts for a 4.0 liter too, I assume that includes the filter... Thanks for the info.[addsig]

It takes 6 quarts and maybe a 1/4 more with a new filter. Hey believe it or not some people don't change there oil filter every oil change.[addsig]

my 258 takes a little less tha 6qt w/ filter, but not much less.
just out of curosity what does a 2.5 take?
[addsig]

Also if your not the original owner of the jeep. if the person before you was a serious off roader the may have put a slimline oil pan that doesn't hang as low or hold as much oil.[addsig]

My 91 YJ with a 2.5L took almost 6qts. That is after I busted the motor mount bracket (damn alumn bkts:x), then OE filter landed on frame, oil everywhere. When I replaced motor brackets, I added a remote oil filter relocater and larger filter.

OE filter changes on 2.5L is a little under 5 qts.

DOAF! :oops::redface: I was using the search botton for something else. Commented on it and didn't notice date. Sorry about that. :oops::redface:

DOAF! :oops::redface: I was using the search botton for something else. Commented on it and didn't notice date. Sorry about that. :oops::redface:

Well, at least it's good to know that someone's using the search feature!!;)

Back