oil cooler in a YJ

kjegbert23

A buddy of mine is giving me his old Wily's jeep trailer. I have a '91 YJ 2.5L with 160,000 miles. I was thinking of installing an oil cooler to help take some of the load off of the old engine. Any recommendations?

Welcome to the Z.

I really don't think it's worth the hassle, the oil will stay at or near engine operating temp regardless. There are other mods you can do to the 2.5L to make it work less to pull that trailer.

Welcome to the Z.

I really don't think it's worth the hassle, the oil will stay at or near engine operating temp regardless. There are other mods you can do to the 2.5L to make it work less to pull that trailer.

Such as what kind of mods? I'm still pretty new at doing any sort of mods (never really worked on vehicles before). This Jeep has been through 2 typhoons in Japan before I got it. Every bolt is rusted or seized to it and it's a pain to modify anything. I have put Rancho 5000's, new sway bar bushings with quick disconnect links, removed rear trac bar, and installed a new stearing stabilizer.

Best mod would be to regear the axles to 4.88, that will keep the engine higher in the powerband when pulling the trailer, and help compensate for the oversize tires.

Then there's the 4.0L throttle body or 62mm throttle body, electric fan to replace mechanical, Firepower ignition kit from Performance Distributors, Ford v8 injectors, etc. Check out 4BangerJP.com - Index for more detailed 4banger info.

Looking at all of the ideas that you gave me, I'm going to upgrade to the 62mm throttle body. It looks like re-gearing will probably be my best bet (although most expensive also). Since I have Dana35c stock, should I also upgrade to Dana 44's on the front and rear? I'm only pushing Toyo XTX 30x9.5's. Would Les Schwab be able to do this kind of work, or should I find a more specialty shop in Reno, NV?

The stock axles will likely hold up fine behind the 2.5L engine and pushing 30" tires.

I offer 62mm throttle bodies for sale cheap, email me at bountyhunter AT sija.org if you're interested.

If you're set on upgrading the axles to Dana44's, the Wagoneer front d44 and Isuzu Rodeo rear d44 make a great combo. It gives 4whl disc brakes and matching 6-lug wheels all the way around. It's what I run under my '95 YJ.

On the Ford Fuel Injector. What year range and engine size and model am I looking for in the junk yard? Will they fit right in without modifications?

I'm going to be pulling a 4.0L throttle body next week. I found one in a little used scrap yard 50 miles from town.

Back