P0531 p0352 p0353 2000 gcl 4.0 l

Maritimer

Had the famous fantom stalling issue on my Grand Cherokee with codes such as Peak primary coil voltage not achieved in max dwell time and crank or cam sensor intermittent. I know from many web sites and chat forums that this is a common problem and probably several different fixes but just thought I'd give details on what fixed mine in case it may help. The short story is that I just moved the cam sensor drive ( Some call it distributor or oil pump drive ) 16th inch turn and engine stopped stalling and no longer got check engine light. Near as I can figure is that the sensor must be adjusted nearly perfect to allow for max dwell time and allow the coil to build up max voltage to fire the sparkplugs. I turned the shaft in the wrong direction first try and the engine would not start, second try went in the opposite direction and everything was good. Again, this was a very small adjustment (16th inch) After I erased codes, they did not return and the engine is running great. Because the adjustment was so small I figure normal wear in the Cam/oil pump drive could have caused the problem. Hope this helps someone. I know how frustrating these problems can be, believe me.

Last edited:

Leonard,

Welcome to the "Z"!! Thanks for posting......very pertinent info for gcl owners I am sure. That's what this place is all about......asking, answering, sharing, and basically enjoying our Jeeps. Stick around.

mud

Welcome to Jeepz.. Thanks for the good info. I'm curious though on the Cam and Crank synchronization. Through the use of a DRB Computer it should be within +/- 1 degree.. If it was something that just got out of whacked then great. But if there was another cause for the Cam and Crank to go out of its specified range, i would have to think that something is worn out or fixing to fail.

Jeep is still running great since I made the adjustment, knock on wood, and I heard the fix worked for one other person, so I guess that's what counts. I'm thinking that if it was a purely mechanical ignition system like the old points and distributor it would not have had the problem . If the point gap was a little off an engine would still run although maybe not top notch. I think the computer didn't like the minor mis-adjustment and shut the engine down through the auto shut-down relay. Purely speculation at this point. I'm just glad to back on the road. Thanks for the feedback. By the way in my original post the first code should read P0351. Sorry for the mis-type, don't know how to edit original post.

Last edited:

1999 jeep grand cherokee. I am getting codes 0353 0352 0351. My guages are all cutting off as well.
any thoughts. Just had new computer put in as well as crankshaft and cam shaft sensors.

Not positive on the 1999 GC but sounds like the auto shut-down relay which is controlled by the computer. If the computer gets info, which it recieves from various sensors, that in its programming its sees as harmfull to the engine, it will activate the auto shut-down relay which will turn off ignition and fuel flow basically killing the engine. A miscompare between the cam and crank sensors could cause this if they are not set-up properly. The cam sensor is the only one of the two that can be adjusted. A mis adjustment , if minor, may allow the engine to run for a while until the computer finally doesn't like it and shuts it down. You also may just have a faulty auto shut-down relay. Hope this is of some help.

I just rebuilt my 4.0l and had those codes. A quick adjustment of the cam sensor and all codes cleared. This forum saved me major bucks and head aches! Thanks for your replies

Just found this thread, glad I did, could use some help. 2001 TJ with the 4.0L started having problems akin to a bad crank sensor a while back, intermittent stalling (always started and idled, never a no start) and gauges not working intermittently. Was only occasional and slowly started getting more frequent so I changed the crank sensor out with a new Mopar unit but no luck. Right after that, the P1391 code started, intermittent cam or crank signal loss. So I came across the informative article in the link below which is just what the OP in this thread describes, and I adjusted the Cam Sensor housing today using the "toothpick" method. After clearing codes and starting it back up, P1391 was again pending and P0352 was set with P0351 and P0353 to follow shortly as well as the rough idle and stalling. Now I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

Two things I noticed that I could use some feedback on. First, there wasn't the usual timing marker strip, it was just a single pointer, and I assume that was for TDC? Second, I noticed a little rotational play in the OPDA shaft with the interrupter vane on it. Is this normal or a sign of wear and possibly why the adjustment didn't work? Appreciate any input!

Here's the article for anyone having a similar problem: http://jeep.blackonyx.net/pdfs/jcss.pdf

Back