Painted Diamond steel

Renegade79

Has anybody painted diamond steel rockers or corners or seen any painted. I've never really seen it done and thinking about doing it. I Don't really like the stainless look. just wondering if there was any particular reason it is so rare. (or maybe i just haven't looked enough)[addsig]

they make black ones too. I've neve seen them painted, though. Were you going to paint them the Jeep's color, or a different color? -Mike
image-missing.png
[addsig]

i was thinking of doing this myself. i was planing of digging up some diamond plating from a scrap yart and cutting it down to fit, but id have to give them some kind of finish...maybe POR15?[addsig]

If it´s stainless or aluminum, it´s best to use a special primer. Regular primer and paint don´t stick to good. I´ve found roughing with steel wool, thoroughly and priming with a primer made for galvinized steel works well. Then a light coat of regular primer (sealer) then the auto paint. A primer that´s good is Rustolium brown, it is aceton resistant and holds good (but it is slow drying). The trick to making it last, is using the right primer.[addsig]

Thanks for the info. And Yes, i was going to paint them the color of my Jeep. [addsig]

I would listen to mudder, he sounds like he knows what he is doing. That aluminum they are made of is really hard to get paint to stick as well as the paint will crater.[addsig]

I like Cuke's idea of the POR 15... go to www.POR15.com and look around to find what you're looking for... the site has all kinds of product descriptions and application instructions. The stuff is pretty expensive but better and stronger than anything else ive seen. [addsig]

I´ve messed up alot of projects once (sometimes twice), hate to see someone make the same dumb arsed mistakes I made.
image-missing.png
Don´t know about POR 15 never used it. [addsig]

You might want to look more into Por-15 before using it in the sun. No UV protection.

I have used it in my engine compartment and frame where it looks and works great. Remember, no direct sun. I've also used it on battery boxes, hot rod frames and they even have a paint designed for exhaust. MudderChucks plan is a good one; another idea is to lightly sandblast the surface first. It gives the primer a place to grip.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back