problem with the wifes car?????

abe

i have a 96 chevy lumina "car" 3.1L and the car just shuts off when in drive then will run fine. After a restart it runs fine! It has now happended twice within the last couple of days. The second time it happened, the car took awhile to start back up again. But eventually it did and drove fine. When it shuts off it completeley resets my whole car!!!I have recently bought a new battery within the last yr, and I have had my sterring column switch replaced 3 months ago. a friend told me it may b the crank sencer but it's not having any of the symptioms of that. Please help this is my daily driver and i need to get this fixed.
thank you guys so very much!!!! yours truley "the wife" ;)

:razz::grin:Just sayi'n , Jeeps, Jeeps, Jeepz. Okay now i got that out of my system, i'll take a stab at this to see if i could help. The symptom you described suggest that it's an electrical issue. I have doubts that it's the crank sensor since part of the symptom is resetting the modules in the vehicle. This indicates that you should check both the positive and ground circuits to and from the battery and power distribution center(fuse box). OOoooohh Terry is gonna fire me for this i tell y'a. If the cables are clean , not loose and in good condition, the next step is to do a wiggle test. I dont know about that word but it seems to make me chuckle when i say wiggle,lol. Anywho, start the engine with the e. brake on and the trans. in park. Locate the engine wiring harness and take note of where NOT to place your hands or your arms from being dismembered or burned from the moving components and hot surfaces. Slowly grab the wiring harness and try to wiggle it and see if the symptoms could be duplicated. Do this on the wiring harness throughout the engine compartment where you can get a hold of the loom without getting hurt. Report back when your done. Over and out. I'll respond back if Terry don't ban me for this.:cry:

Could also be the engine computer and/or a piece called the body control module. Most likely the engine computer. Check the wiring to the fuel pump and connections too.

:razz::grin:Just sayi'n , Jeeps, Jeeps, Jeepz. Okay now i got that out of my system, i'll take a stab at this to see if i could help. The symptom you described suggest that it's an electrical issue. I have doubts that it's the crank sensor since part of the symptom is resetting the modules in the vehicle. This indicates that you should check both the positive and ground circuits to and from the battery and power distribution center(fuse box). OOoooohh Terry is gonna fire me for this i tell y'a. If the cables are clean , not loose and in good condition, the next step is to do a wiggle test. I dont know about that word but it seems to make me chuckle when i say wiggle,lol. Anywho, start the engine with the e. brake on and the trans. in park. Locate the engine wiring harness and take note of where NOT to place your hands or your arms from being dismembered or burned from the moving components and hot surfaces. Slowly grab the wiring harness and try to wiggle it and see if the symptoms could be duplicated. Do this on the wiring harness throughout the engine compartment where you can get a hold of the loom without getting hurt. Report back when your done. Over and out. I'll respond back if Terry don't ban me for this.:cry:

Ok Ok i know and thank you for the help I just know there are some of the best mechanics on here. I respect everyone on here @ Jeepz. And Happy birthday?

Last edited:

Thanks guys I know JEEPZ, JEEPZ, JEEPZ!!!!! no more i swear.

Also inspect the fusible links they can give you grief also.
Buddys chevy van was doing the same thing and have a bad fusible link.

Back