R wheel bearing replacement

zafirex

So, more problems with the right front wheel bearing replacement in which I accidentally pulled the axleshaft:

Was having trouble driving afterwards, jeep pulls to right. Initially thought I might not have installed the brake properly, removed it and re-installed, appears to have good clearance and work properly. Axle appears properly placed, so I think there is torque on the shaft.

Took a closer look, and seems like the disc guard now rides up against the disc rotor, and the rotor even touches the steering knuckle at the bottom.

I don't see any spare parts lying around the garage, though there was a lot of mud I brushed off the steering knuckle.

Is the replacement wheel bearing too short? Some retaining ring or washer I didn't put on in the right place?

It's possible you got the wrong replacement bearing assembly as they changed slightly over the years. It'd be my bet if everything bolted back on okay during reassembly.

Did you compare new to old when you had the old bearing assembly off? If not, I would pull the new one and compare them. At least you may find something else wrong if it is the correct hub assembly.

I did check to order the right part from the company, but I ordered online and the part came stamped made in Taiwan. I briefly looked at them before putting the new one on, and it appeared the same, but I went back and looked at the old one: there seems to be a 1/8 in gap at the base of the five threaded bolts.

I'm betting this gap isn't on the new one when I pull the disc off tomorrow. If so, I think a few washers are in order. As long as it torques down properly, the washers shouldn't be a problem, should they?

I wouldn't do anything to modify a hub.

This coming from somebody who used helicoils in a hole or two to mount the hub to my Comanche ;)

Back