Rear axle. Dana 44 Vs Ford 8.8

Moggs center section is not the best, once you introduce an engine with more than 100 hp, the ring gears become your weak point.

Rocks are over rated. I wheeled last weekend with a guy on 47's and rocks and he had more issues with climbs than I did simply because of weigh. his jeep is back half and stripped down, and still weighs more than my full body jeep.

ok I'll say it

go D60 and don't look back.

Probably build one for what the 8.8 will cost from the junk yard and will be way stronger. Convert to 5 on 5.5 lug pattern (unless you can find a D60 with that pattern, they are rare but exhist) and then just put some lug conversion spacers on the frontt, should be the same width.

Believe it or not, the 8.8 is more desirable for the swap because the disc brake and same bolt patter. If you can source a D60, semi or full floating, it is not hard to swap the lug pattern. they believe it or not they are generally cheaper since they are less desirable since the Big Dogs generally prefer the 14 bolts cause they are simply stronger and the smaller rig say under 37" tires generally go with the 8.8 or 44 cause they think the 60 is too much.

I have seen 60 rears sell for as low as $50 for a 30 spline semi floating and full floaters generally go for $100+

Disc brake conversions are easy to put together too with junk yard parts.

So you really think that I should look for a D60 instead? It won't add to much weight? Also, if I was to do that, what should i look for in a D60?

Honestly, there are so many different 60's out there, I would avoid anything that came from a car, only because they catch the highest price, and are only semi floating, but the lug pattern is 5 on 5ish

I would also avoid 60's from a ford and dodge van, simply because they are wider than 60's from a truck.

Jeep J20(or 2000) had a 8 lug, full floating 30 spline narrow D60, also jeep made a 5 lug Semi floating 35 spline narrow D60(very rare and hard to find). Both would be perfect.

you could look for any rear F250 axle from the 70, chevy's had rear 60's in the late 60-late 70's in the 2wd 3/4 ton trucks (if you see one that looks like a wierd ford 9". thats an Eaton H072 rear great axle, grab it) Dodge put 60's in the rear of W250 and W350 truck, not sure when they stopped, but I think early 90's.
Also, don't discount a 14 bolt. you can find a semi floating 6 lug 14 bolt that is only a couple inches wider than a stock D35.

Best Advice, Search the net, and when you think your done, search some more. Look for Billvista's D60 bible on the net, very helpful.

Alright, stupid question time... What is floating or semi-floating? I know a piece of wood floats in water.. but how does an axle go about floating? :p

It's currently my DD. & I drive it alot, so i need to keep reasonable gearing & weight cause I need a somewhat almost decent mpg... But I do plan on going wheeling soon..

I would say then considering that you use it as a DD, have some economy concerns, and don't even wheel it yet. Then there is no reason to look any further than a stock D44 axle or an 8.8 as an upgrade.

Moggs center section is not the best, once you introduce an engine with more than 100 hp, the ring gears become your weak point.

Rocks are over rated. I wheeled last weekend with a guy on 47's and rocks and he had more issues with climbs than I did simply because of weigh. his jeep is back half and stripped down, and still weighs more than my full body jeep.

Sounds like you're doing something wrong then. Gearing or power sounds like it's the problem. 900 hp in my truck seems to have no trouble with them. As for unimog's, I'm assuming they were 404's, and yes there's a few things you must do to them to make them last;)

But Jesse. if I were you I'd just go with either the 8.8 or the D44. It sounds like either would work great for what you're doing, and with both, there's plenty of mods and upgrades you can always do with either to suit you're specific needs in the future.

Jesse looking down the road a little, what is the biggest tire you think you might use on your jeep?

Jesse looking down the road a little, what is the biggest tire you think you might use on your jeep?

I really honestly have no idea, because I don't plan on staying where i am for a lot longer.. So I don't know what to build my rig for...

Alright so now it comes down to this, should I go with Dana 44 or Ford 8.8? Which would be more cost effective & easier to work on & easier to find parts for?

Now days it is a coin toss between those two. They have about the same after market support, and as far as working on them they are very similar. The 8.8 is a little stronger. They both are good for 33-35" tires max as a rule of thumb.

Alright so now it comes down to this, should I go with Dana 44 or Ford 8.8? Which would be more cost effective & easier to work on & easier to find parts for?

I would look around in your area and see which is more common to find in the wrecking yards. At least that's what I base my decision off of when I'm in situations like that.

Alright, thank you EVERYONE for your input. :) It's great having this wonderful resource available.

Back