Rear main seal gone?

Bullet3600

I've had an oil leak coming from the back of the engine a 88 jeep cherokee with a 4.0, it is a steady drip that comes from the back and then down the front of the bell housing. I have replaced the oil pan gasket, head and valve cover gasket as well and still the leak. The only thing that I can think of might be the rear main? anyone have any other possibilities?
image-missing.png
[addsig]

i have the same problem... shop told me it was the rear main. you could try tightening the oil drain plug, possibly cleaning out your PCV system will releive some pressure to help slow down the leak. i'm still in denial with my leak... "it'll go away soon..."
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Rear mains are commonly found to leak on the 4.0 and the 4.2 so it is a definite possibility.
image-missing.png
It is quite expensive to repair and if it is just leaking a little bit I wouldn't worry about it. [addsig]

Thanks for the reply's, Well today is the day to do the seal. According to the Haynes manual the job should take only a few hours and the seal only cost 14 bucks. I'll let you know how I made out tomorrow after the monster truck show.....lol...........Bullet[addsig]

not to scare you, but here's a convo i had about replacing rear mains on XJ's...:

(graewulf = expert, dingus84=me)

graewulf3: first you need to drop the pan... its areal tight fit

dingus84: k...

graewulf3: we had to loosen an engine mount and put a jack under the crank pulley to get that extra 1/4" to get the pan out

graewulf3: (it had been hit once, dont know if this had anything to do with it)

dingus84: (rob suggested running 20w40 oil... might help?)

graewulf3: next you have to loosen all the crank bolts about 1/8"

dingus84: k...

graewulf3: then you carefully slide the lower haf of the seal out of the pan

graewulf3: 20w40 may help some

dingus84: k

graewulf3: now it gets fun... you have to use a pick (dental type pick)

graewulf3: push VERY carefully on the middle of the upper half of the seal

graewulf3: its gonna be stuck so you need to use doem force, but DO NOT SLIP

graewulf3: if yo mar either surface you're gonna leak again real quick

graewulf3: it'll pop loose all of a sudden

graewulf3: then you slide it out (it'll spin around the crank

dingus84: *sigh*

graewulf3: then you can replace it with the new seal (thats easy) and put it all back together, maing sure to e-torque the main bolts to the proper spec

graewulf3: prepare to be oil covered as you are under an open engine block...

dingus84: lol yeah

graewulf3: it was not fun and i wouldnt want to have to do it again....

graewulf3: fred got about 50,0000 more before it started leaking again

dingus84: do i need a cherry picker or anything?

graewulf3: we did it on jack stands.. got it up real high....

graewulf3: just alot of elbow grease...

graewulf3: i would suggest experienced help, this is NOT a task for te novice

dingus84: yeah it sounds like it

[addsig]

Greawolfs experience sounds amazingly like mine, except I didn´t loosen all the crank bolts (just the rear cap), I used a small flat round puch on one end of the top main seal, to get it moving and had to unhook the shock tops and one end of the sway bar and jack the front axle down a bit, as well as jack the engine up some, to get the pan out. Took alot more than a few hours. Took a few hours, just to get everything clean enough for reassembly.

The oil out of the rear seal, has a tendancy to coat the inside of the bell housing and only really leaves a noticable spot where it´s parked for a few hours (things collect and drip down). Keep track of your oil usuage, I wouldn´t start to panic unless it turns into more than about a quart every couple of weeks.

Mine started a few drop, minor leak, again after about 9 months, I susupect my mains where pretty loose. Used a Fel Pro kit, maybe there are some better kits out there, a double or triple seal ridge might last longer, I wondered about the Fel Pros single ridge when I put it in there. The whole job was about as much fun, as changing an auto transmission filter, and just about as dirty. Not one of my favorite jobs.[addsig]

I'd like to ad some good advice for droping the oil pan, One of the mechanics at LaPolla Motors the Jeep dealer here in Rhode Island. He told me to undo the transmission mount and raise the transmission, I have done this in the past and it really does work on removing the pan alot easier than removing motor mounts...........Bullet[addsig]

Thank for the tip Bullet, will try it your way next time, my way was definatly a birch.[addsig]

Back