recall? #755

volaredon

I just got a post card about a recall involving my 97 Wrangler. #755, fuel tank sending unit. Whats the issue? is the thing gonna self destruct if I dont have them change it? I dont want the $1200 repair estimate that accompanys any trip to the dealer, just because "they" themselves have not done that service; they "assume" that nothing has ever been done to it; my brother had that on his when he took it in to have the cat con replaced under warranty. Something like $300 to change fluids in trans (stick), front and rear diffs, and the T case. Absolutely ridiculous. $500-some for a "bad" radiator that has never leaked a drop or caused an overheat. and a tuneup whick involved new plugs and looking at a couple things that if needed were a higher cost.

I have had a few recalls done on my company vehicle and never had any problems like that.

Aren't recalls done free of charge? I would think you would have to sign for any work above and beyond the scope of work dealing with the recall.

dont let the dealers scam you into additional work. a recall is to fix a problem that has been found after production. my wifes suzuki has had about 6 recalls since new (told her it was junk) i have never agreed to have any service done other than the recall so no charge. a nissan i owned a few years ago had to go back under bumper to bumper warrentte and they tryed to get me to pay for a new hepa filter that they noticed needed to be replace while i was there...i went outside real issed for a cig and a mechanic whispered to me that my truck doesnt have a hepa filter so i went back and said show me the filter..got a little ugly then they agreed to service the truck free of charge with me watching them still never paid a penny.

if its a fuel gauge recall the chances are the additives in gas are corroding the contacts (have you notices gas now smells sweet) there are web sites that tell you all about recalls so you might want to search around a bit.

I found out what they do; I guess some of these had an issue of "showing" gas in the tank but actually outta gas; if a fuel pump module has ever been done the recall would not need doing; I guess they just replace the little "circuit board" on the module that runs the gas gauge. so as long as mine works my parts counterman buddy says to not mess with it; and no, they will not scam me into adcditional work; I just don't like going there to "hear" it; if you dont work THERE you are a dumd arse that knows nothing you know; the thing is that nobody touches my Jeep but me; everything works and I wanna keep it that way! About 6 months ago I put "just" a fuel pump and a filter/regulator onto it but the gauge unit is the original. I'd had that tank out 3X this year; once when I re framed it due to rust and then to replace the pump ( thought it was why I had to grind the snot out of it to start it) but again for that regulator that mounts up top. Thanks to Ebay it was still much cheaper than a new module ass'y, even at parts store prices; let alone stealership prices!

Subject: Safety Recall #755 -- Fuel Tank Sending Unit

Models:

• 1997 Model Year Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) Vehicles Built Through June 1, 1997 (MDH 060108)

• 1997 Model Year Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Vehicles Built Through May 9, 1997 (MDH 050919)

• 1997 Model Year Jeep Wrangler (TJ) Vehicles Equipped With a:

• 19 Gallon Fuel Tank (Sales Code -- NF1) Built Through May 9, 1997 (MDH 050907)

• 15 Gallon Fuel Tank (Sales Code -- NFS) Built Through May 13, 1997 (MDH 051323)

The fuel tank level sending unit on about 400,000 of the above listed vehicles, may cause the fuel gauge to display an inaccurate fuel level. As a result, the vehicle may run out of fuel when the fuel gauge still indicates that there is fuel remaining in the tank. To correct this condition, the fuel tank level sending unit must be replaced.

Back