Received Free, Broken, Panasonic HD 51" Projection TV - Help!

dingus

Hi All, I know this isn't jeep-related, but I know how helpful people on this board tend to be, so here goes:

I just received (free) a broken Panasonic 51" HD rear projection TV... it plugs in, powers on, and displays a picture. However, the blue bulb has been removed and I am told that the previous owner paid $50 for diagnosing the problem - the bulb allegedly needs to be replaced. However, I don't feel comfortable buying a new bulb and crossing my fingers that this is in fact the issue.

Photos here:
.Mac Web Gallery

I've searched online and it seems that the common problem with these things is the "convergence" circuitry/chips needing to be repaired/replaced:

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting: Panasonic tv color alignment

My question... what can I try (without bringing it into a shop) to further diagnose? Is this worth pursuing?

Model Number
PT-51HX41E

Chassis
AP820

Thanks!
-Nate

According to the previous owner... the bill to fix the thing would have been another $150. The repair shop he brought it to took so long to fix it that he ended up buying another TV while they were "working on it."

Then, when he told them he bought another one, they offered to buy it from him for $50. To this, he said "I'd rather take an axe to it" and picked it up.

Well unfortunatly I dont think you will get far without replacing the missing bulb. It would stink to start sinking parts into it without having a good idea of what is wrong with it though, your kinda in a catch 22.

Back