Regan has died

One of the best presidents this country has ever had.
God speed Mr President Regan

He was the best president in modern times. No other president that I'm aware of was elected by carrying 49 states. An awesome man and great leader. He is already missed.

Just curious, but how old were you guys when he was in office? I don't want to start a political debate here, but he wasn't really that great. Especially considering the alzheimer's had kicked in pretty much full time the last two years of his last term....Sure, he carried a lot of the popular vote, but have you heard the phrase the lesser of two evils? We've had better, and God knows we've had worse.

Care to enlighten everyone with your diagnosis of alzheimers kicking in the last two years he was in office? His 8 years in office provided some of the best economical times in the modern era. Of course you know that. He effectively ended communism. Of course you know that as well. He was admired by world leaders both friend and foe. Please tell us why in your humble opinion he was not a great president. :D

Sparky-Watts said:
Just curious, but how old were you guys when he was in office? I don't want to start a political debate here, but he wasn't really that great. Especially considering the alzheimer's had kicked in pretty much full time the last two years of his last term....Sure, he carried a lot of the popular vote, but have you heard the phrase the lesser of two evils? We've had better, and God knows we've had worse.

He wasnt diagnosed with it until 1994.

He was a great leader. Winning the cold war, bringing down the wall, rebuilding the economy that Bill CLinton loved to take credit for (it "trickled down to him" hehehehe!).

During my lifetime, this country was at it's strongest as to patriotism and unity during his presidency.

Party affiliation aside, I can only hope we will see men of his caliber run again!

What does age have to do with it? How old was I? I was in high school, class of '86. Is that too young? I also remember Yuppies, hmmm, weren't they young people that had money? So I guess the economy was good. Iran released the hostages the day he took office (they were scared 5h!tless).

Wasn't that great? Well if we use polling numbers like Clinton did, then Reagan was many times better than Clinton. And Clinton is the Dems poster boy. I'm sorry, but the only reason anyone would say, in my opinion, that Reagan was not a great leader is because they're towing the party line.

Here's a simple test. Name Reagan's worse thing that he did in office. Now name Clinton's

Reagan; Liked Jelly Beans AKA JB's
Clinton; Liked BJ's and sent kids to somalia to DIE to cover his butt.

Unemployment, reagan took office with a 7% unemployment rate and left office with a 5.2%.

bigTlilODD said:
What does age have to do with it? How old was I? I was in high school, class of '86. Is that too young? I also remember Yuppies, hmmm, weren't they young people that had money? So I guess the economy was good. Iran released the hostages the day he took office (they were scared 5h!tless).

Wasn't that great? Well if we use polling numbers like Clinton did, then Reagan was many times better than Clinton. And Clinton is the Dems poster boy. I'm sorry, but the only reason anyone would say, in my opinion, that Reagan was not a great leader is because they're towing the party line.

Here's a simple test. Name Reagan's worse thing that he did in office. Now name Clinton's

Unemployment, reagan took office with a 7% unemployment rate and left office with a 5.2%.

I said I wasn't going to spark a political debate, this isn't the place for it. I was just wondering if some of you were children at the time, really, age doesn't have a lot to do with it if you followed your history lessons. No, I'm not toeing the party line. One of the worst things he did in office? Hmmm.....does Iran/Contra ring a bell? Guess who started that? Selling arms and weapons secrets to our enemies. Yeah, that's not a good thing. Sure he did a lot of good. You cannot credit him with freeing the Iran hostages. That was a bigger political ploy than you apparently realize. That was just one more slap in the face to Jimmy Carter by Reagan's administration, it had nothing to do with Iran being "scared spitless". Carter was a joke, that's well known, but he was better than Ford, right? :lol:

I won't even get into the evils of Clinton. I just don't think Reagan was "the greatest president" in recent times, depending on what you consider "recent". There are several books on Reagan's term in the White House that confirm his alzheimer's long before his press agent "officially released details about his diagnosis". That, too, was sent through the spin cycle so as not to tarnish his reputation. Same as FDR never being photographed in a wheelchair while in office.....they didn't want to make the President of the Greatest Nation on earth appear weak. Study up on your history, like I said, Reagan wasn't that great. And, I also said we've had better, and obviously had worse. Don't take it personally, I'm just stating unadulterated facts, not politically polished bs.

Okay, no politically polished BS.

Reagan stepped into a complete mess left in the wake of Carter and did more to set this country on a proper fiscal path than any president in the last 100 years. Whether the left leaners want to admit it or not.....The only thing Clinton did to get himself so many good marks from uneducated voters was to reap the benefits of Reagan's policies and give everybody what they wanted NOW, not thinking about OUR future.
There have been no presidents in modern times who have done even a DECENT job of applying the Constitution and Bill of Rights to their social policies. Reagans biggest failure, in my opinion was the hyping of the War on Drugs. It should have been killed by him, but instead became a pet project of him and Nancy and has ended up causing far more problems than it has ever solved.

Forget his politics. A great American leader is dead, have some respect.

He was also a Jeeper. Remember the picture of him and Gorbachev in the Scrambler while Gorby was visiting his ranch? I've seen or heard somewhere that he owned several Jeeps.

image-missing.png
As far as the Iran/Contra scandal goes, a member of his administration (Oliver North?) had sold arms to the Iranian government, and given the revenue to the contras in Nicaragua. Reagan's quick call for the appointment of an Independent Counsel to investigate, and cooperation with counsel, kept the scandals from affecting his presidency. It was found that the president was guilty of the scandal only in that his lax control of his own staff resulted in his ignorance of the arms sale. About the only thing that some people harbor resentment of was about AIDS, when he commented that "People who live in sin shall die in sin."

Just a little angry!!

I was saddened by the news myself, and his family some peace from his passing. He was suffering quite a bit in his older age from what I've read.

I was young when he was in office but I too remember him and considered him a fantastic president. I won't get into the politics of it but I like him and that was that. To each her own.

I'd defer that no matter what I thought of him, as a leader of our country for several years he deserves respect.

Lady

I don't wish death or suffering on anyone, and my heart goes out to the pres and his family.

But as a president, not good. Our educational system was left in shambles due to the Reagan Veto. And the only uneducated voters out there were the result of it. That's all I will say, because we get way too into the politcal debate thing on this site.

BTW Junkpile, EVERY president who ever won an election, did so by catering to the "Uneducated" public. Because as a result of the 80's and 70's admin's, nobody was getting any quality educaton, except of course, those who could afford it. The 80's was a stinky and shallow decade.

And I think nothing Sparky said was disrespectful, maybe JUST MAYBE, he wasn't as great an American leader as you thought. (It's possible that someone out there disagrees with you.) And maybe we should show our fellow jeeper some respect as well...

Over-simplification there. Both president's, one could argue, sent kids to DIE somewhere.

And North was a scapegoat BTW.

These are all very good points. He was a good leader, just not the best. Every president has had to deal with what he considers to be misguided efforts by the previous administration. Aside from the Iran/Contra affair and the war on drugs, another major boo-boo was the deinstitutionalization of the mentally ill, which led us to the major problems of the homeless. And as for his unemployment record, that's just a play on numbers. Reagan changed the parameters of what is considered to be unemployable, therefore making a smaller group of people that were unemployed by his standards. In fact, by the time he was out of office, there were 3.5% more people without jobs, but his standards made it read that most of them were "unemployable", thusly not including them in the tally of unemployed.

Either way you look at it, yeah, we lost a good leader, we lost a Jeeper, we lost a mother's son. I didn't intend any disrespect, and his death and the political debates here will not change my view of Jeeping, which is why I'm here. If you want to have a political debate, we can carry it on at another forum. I don't want to fire any negative feelings amongst my fellow Jeepers, and respect everyone's opinions here.

Let's just say "Goodnight to Bonzo" for the last time, and return to Jeepin' talk, ok?

Yea, just about ruined my day on saturday. COme home from a day of wheeling only to find that a good man is dead. :cry:

Yeah, the political talk gets heated in any arena. I've tried not to get into alot of the political discussions here because I tend to get aggravated. I had to stop going to political message boards, I was about to blow a gasket. Political talk is taken for granted, it's serious and it should be treated as such.

The thing that happened here is somebody picked an improper time to criticize a man that I DO happen to think alot of. If you don't like the man and can't hold YOUR political comments back, even at his death.....maybe a post shouldn't have been made in this thread. Sorry, I'm not trying to be an ass and I really didn't mean to ruffle anyones tail feathers with the comment about having some respect.

I guess I'll follow a few others and not post in this type thread anymore.

gas gauge problem

im with junkpile, the guy is dead and he served his country...be nice and try not to tear him apart.

No one can argue that weather or not you agreed with his politics, he was a very likeable guy. This country was in bad morale when he took office, gas shortages, iran hostage crisis embarrassment, horrible economy, USSR, etc. That man got on our television sets and reminded Americans what America is all about. He reminded us what a Government should be to this country, that they can get out of hand if left to thier own will, and that we should each take an active role. He brought the country together and we got back on our feet. Some was him and his admin.'s doing, some was just the country digging itself out of a slump - but you cannot argue that Ronald Reagan was a much needed "shot-in-the-arm" that this country was in dire need of. He got the nickname of the "great Communicator" because every time he got in front of a camera, a nation smiled and felt like we could beat anything, accomplish anything, and that is how I will remember him.

Even the most liberal reporters and his biggest critics would laugh and smile when interviewing him. Yeah I was young, but I remember.

TC

Tug bites his toung and smiles as he makes no remarks! See an old dawg can learn new tricks! I read this one and typed for a while and deleted it! I did the same thing several more times and deleted them all. I am proud of myself for this cause I would love to say things that would have made some proud and some anything but proud. R.I.P.

Anyone going to see his casket at the library?

Back