Replacement Carpet

ToddTaylor2

I just bought a used 98 wrangler. The previous owner was a heavy smoker.

Any suggestions on replacement carpet packages? Also, how hard is it to replace it yourself?

Thanks,

Are you set on carpet? Truck bed liner works wonders in Jeep tubs and keeps floor boards from rusting in the future. Though, it all depends on what you plan on using the Jeep for.

I want to keep the carpet if I can. I may go the rhino liner option in the future.

Do you have to remove the center console to take the front carpets out?

Todd

ToddTaylor2 said:
I want to keep the carpet if I can. I may go the rhino liner option in the future.

Do you have to remove the center console to take the front carpets out?

Todd

More than likely you will have to remove the console, but have you tried "Carpet Fresh" and letting it sit for a day then vacum and shampoo? That should remove 99% of it. If you don't have carpet fresh, I have used baking soda and removed some nasty smells as well.

Cheaper solution than carpet.;)

No you dont have to remove the center console to remove the carpet. You might have to put it back in though, i dont know, once mine came out it never went back in.

Put that crap out in the sun for a couple days and hit it with some fabreeze; though I bet the seats are holding more of the smoke than the carpet.

Carpet will come out and go back in without removing the center console. However, you'll have to lift up on the plastic to slide it under. Be careful of the carpet though....I ripped mine the first time.

jumppr said:
Carpet will come out and go back in without removing the center console. However, you'll have to lift up on the plastic to slide it under. Be careful of the carpet though....I ripped mine the first time.

Me too

If you are still having problems with the smoke smell. Fill a spray bottle with white vinegar and spray everything down and let sit for a day with the doors and windows closed. The vinegar will nutralize the smoke. Air out by taking the doors and top off and driving down the interstate

Check out 4wheeldrivehardware.com or jeepessentials.com they have a few packages to choose from I don't really think there is much difference in the choices. As for the installation, it's very easy as long as you have the torx bits to remove seat belts and seats, other wise you have to cut holes

I took mine out, took it to the car wash sprayed it down with carpet cleaner and powerwashed it, brought it home hung it on the clothesline let it dry and put it back in the next morning and it looks like a new one. The carpet justs slips under the console.

Back