Right side axleshaft

zafirex

New to doing mechanic work, have death wobble, and figured out the wheel bearing on the right was loose, so thought I'd replace it this weekend.

The jeep was in 4-wheel drive during the hub removal to prevent the shaft from turning while removing the nut.

Accidentally pulled the right axleshaft out while trying to pull off the hub and bearing assembly. I inserted it back in together tightly, but I have several questions:

1. I didn't check position of axle shaft on inserting it back in. Now I see that the U joints compared from left to right aren't at the same angle. Do I need to remove the assembly again, remove the shaft, and rotate back to the same angle?
2. Haynes notes that the right side axleshaft is held in the differential by a retaining clip. Did I dislodge this, and do I need to open the differential to examine?
3. Could I have damaged the differential seal, and should/how do I check?

Realized I didn't add: 98 TJ manual transmission

(1) position doesn't matter. (2) the c- clip is for the rear axle not the front. (3)You'll know if the seal is bad when you see oil leaking out.

Some front axles will have a small c-clip for axle retention during initial assembly, yours should not have one. I wouldn't worry about it.

Back