Sagging rear end solutions?

seanzy13

My 88 cherokee is pretty worn out i'll admit, but I'd like to keep it in descent shape to be a daily driver when needed. I see shocks are insanely cheap so I'll be replacing those shortly. Something I notice is that the rear end is sagging pretty badly. It looks like the leaf springs are almost starting to arch the opposite direction they should be at times. Are there any cost effective solutions for this? I see something called an add-a-leaf which is supposed to help worn out springs, but it says not recommended for vehicals with 3 leaf springs, which my jeep does have. I'm sure it wouldn't be cost effective to replace the leaf springs all together, so what does one recommend as the cheapest solution?

The cheapest solution I am aware of is to go to a pull and pay, find a comparable donor vehicle and pull the spring sets you need. I did this a while ago and got both rear packs for $75 total out the door.

Isn't changing the leaf springs a big pain in the ass? From the looks of it I'm guessing just about every bolt I have is going to be rusted in and break off. Sadly if something breaks off during the removal process, it would really make the jeep no longer worth the money to fix since I can't extract a busted bolt myself, and this is one of those $500 winter beater jeeps. I would spend the $200 on new leaf springs, but theres just so much more that could go wrong while replacing them.

I'm considering the add-a-leaf or just simply putting blocks back there. Blocks seem like the simplest solution and shouldn't be too much effort to install.

Isn't changing the leaf springs a big pain in the ass? From the looks of it I'm guessing just about every bolt I have is going to be rusted in and break off. Sadly if something breaks off during the removal process, it would really make the jeep no longer worth the money to fix since I can't extract a busted bolt myself, and this is one of those $500 winter beater jeeps. I would spend the $200 on new leaf springs, but theres just so much more that could go wrong while replacing them.

I'm considering the add-a-leaf or just simply putting blocks back there. Blocks seem like the simplest solution and shouldn't be too much effort to install.

With an add a leaf you'll have to take your springs off, open up the spring pack, and replace or add a leaf. More work than just replacing them.

If your springs are bowing the wrong way then I'd say they are worn to the point where they should be replaced.

As to replacing the springs, I don't think there is any bolt that could break off and give you a hard time (I've never worked on a Cherokee though). You should have two U bolts that hold the springs to the Axle, and you can just cut these off easily if they give you problems - they are cheap and should probably be replaced. As to the two bolts at each end of the spring, you can cut these off as well, and bang them out with a punch.

Changing springs isn't that tough. You just soak everything down with penatrator and try to wrench them off. If it doesn't come off, just cut it off with a grinder.

Last edited:
if you know how to *******tize a spring safely it can be done while springs are installed in jeep tools required are 4 c clamps flat head screw driver angle grinder to cut old clips ball peen hammer few sockets and box wrenches and new clips and yes a old leaf spring
NOTE:
I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS IF YOU HAVE NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE IN THIS AREA, IT CAN BE VERY DEADLY IF NOT PERFORMED CORRECTLY
YES I SAID DEADLY:shock:

just get that 1.4 ton add a leaf that is at autozone in the towing section. i put that on tons of vehicles. its a full leaf that bolts under your current set. if my lift didn't come with an add a leaf, i would've put it in the rear of my 87 cherokee.

Just did mine got the crowns leaf springs. Not an easy job but if your smart the way to go is buy all new hardwear new shackles and and if bolts give you a problem and they will, {they get siezed to the metal sleeve inside the bushing} just cut them off. A cutting blade on a grinder zipped rite threw it all.

I would say just find a stock replacement leaf pack at a u-pull it lot too, and like 54CJ3B said, be very careful! lol If you're wanting a lift then it would make sense to just buy a taller add-a-leaf kit but if you just want you factory ride height restored then just find a leaf pack that isn't worn. New shocks will definitely help as well.

Replace all the leafs but the main with a dakota rear leaf pack. Remive one of the dakotas and will be perfect height and ride better to.

must not... make... saggy rear end joke....

+

:lol: SO who got some solution on their sagging rear end?? :funny: Couldn't help it

I had an F150 several leafs snapped due to spring wrap. Local shop replaced them and added a leaf for less teh $100 a few years back. They specialized in auto springs and others.

I get a used set, BUT leave the original main leaf in place on the jeep, cut the eyes off the main leaf of the used replacement pack. Clamp the replacement pack (so they don't fly all over) by wrapping a chain or rope around them several times along the length. Then undo the centering pin (you will need a replacement pin for each side. Get extras in case you strip one or two) and put all the replacement springs in order on the new pin under the original main leaf.
Tighten the center bolt a bit, then clamp the springs (I use 4 pairs of vise grips and some C clamps when I do mine) and tighten the bolt/re-clamp till the springs are tight together (make sure they are in alignment before all the way tight!).
Then put your axle in and it will sit like new and not ride the a rock (which most aftermarket add-a-leaves do!

just get that 1.4 ton add a leaf that is at autozone in the towing section. i put that on tons of vehicles. its a full leaf that bolts under your current set. if my lift didn't come with an add a leaf, i would've put it in the rear of my 87 cherokee.

I can't find anything like it at the autozone site. Most of the add-a-leafs I am seeing require you to remove the springs and fit in the new leaf (a major pain). I really like the idea of a leaf you can bolt in place.

Can you post more info (manufacturer, name, or web site) so I can get some of these?

If I had to pull the springs off, I might as well just replace with new springs - they are less than some of the add-a-leafs.

Usually the long spring with the eyes gets a bow in it (near the end). If it isn't bowed too bad, I'd get a full length add a leaf. Not that big of a deal to cut the U-bolts, remove the centering pin, stick a new long leaf in there, new U-bolts and a new centering bolt/pin, a couple of new spring clamps. Really not very expensive.
I cut the long leaf from another XJ just near the eyes where it just began to bend into a loop and put that in there, removed the sag and added about 3/4" above stock.
The front bolt going through the front spring eye can be a giant pain and potential catastrophe. I avoid it if possible. The bolt welds itself to the bushing sleeve and the nut welded to the sheet metal frame, if Jeep would have coated the eye bolt in "no seize" they could have saved Jeepers over the years many headaches and thousands of hours of work.
Shorter than full length add a leafs can actually add to the problem and may stress the already bowed spring (they bow near the end) past reasonable limits.

If your rear is saggin waggin the front maybe too? Get yourself a Rubicon Express or ?? 2" Budget boost kit. Comes with 4 shocks, AAL, amd needed hardware. I had an old XJ a while back. It was saggin so bad, when all said and done it only sat +1" over other stock XJ.

90% of the answer is understanding the question.

> 88 cherokee is ...worn out... cheapest solution?
>changing... springs a big pain in the ass?
> jeep no longer worth the money to fix... can't extract a busted bolt myself, ...$500 winter beater jeeps. I would spend the $200 on new leaf springs, but theres just so much more that could go wrong while replacing them.
> simplest solution and shouldn't be too much effort to install.

so...90% of the answer is:
easiest way out for a guy who wants his $500 POS cake and eat it too.

10% answer:
1. longer shackles - 4 pieces of flat and 4 holes for a couple of bucks...that spring won't break.

2. any cheap add a leaf that will bolt on over the weak spot and lift 500 lbs for a couple more miles.

90% of the answer is understanding the question.

> 88 cherokee is ...worn out... cheapest solution?
>changing... springs a big pain in the ass?
> jeep no longer worth the money to fix... can't extract a busted bolt myself, ...$500 winter beater jeeps. I would spend the $200 on new leaf springs, but theres just so much more that could go wrong while replacing them.
> simplest solution and shouldn't be too much effort to install.

so...90% of the answer is:
easiest way out for a guy who wants his $500 POS cake and eat it too.

10% answer:
1. longer shackles - 4 pieces of flat and 4 holes for a couple of bucks...that spring won't break.

2. any cheap add a leaf that will bolt on over the weak spot and lift 500 lbs for a couple more miles.
$200 for new leaf pack from Crown is a good deal, The job is not difficult but yes the bolts can be a PITA - but I don't see what could go wrong replacing them. I would do shocks and shackles too. You can do the whole job for less then $500 which is what you paid for said jeep. but its a jeep! they require work when they are beat on trails, its part of the fun and a jeep thing but $500 into it for a winter beater is nothing! If you think your not going to keep don't do the work! Although I bet it will take a good beating before it dies and if you took it out in the woods for a couple of weekends I think you got moneys worth.

check out ESPO springs out of PA; the last time I had a set of springs redone it cost me more than new ones would have.
and other than not wasting your time wrestling U bolts (torch em off, figure on new ones) leaf springs are not bad at all to replace.

the 2 front bolts in springs are the 2 that will give the most prob
they tend to corrode causing nuts welded to uni-body rail to break free and just spin its a nightmare if you don't have the proper tools

Back