scary suspension. help!!

awake

so i finished putting a rough country 4" lift on my 90 yj and it is rediculously (sp) rough. :shock: tiny bumps feel WAY bigger than big bumps used to feel. and big bumps... well lets just say there's no way i would survive any sort of wheeling. what is going on? i know that the springs must be a little stiffer for the lift but if this was normal, nobody would get a lift. :?

i did leave my sway bar off and don't mind the minor body roll. could this have anything to do with how bouncy it is?

this is my day driver and i'm not sure that i will drive it tomorrow.
please help.

parker

Don't know what the Rough Country lifts ride like but when I put in my new suspension a few years ago it took a couple of months of driving for it to break in.

I know alot of people here love them, but Rough Country lifts do tend to be on the stiff side. Even so, yours sounds excessive.

Did you maybe tighten the shackle bolts down too much and "freeze" the suspension?

I just installed a 4" rough country lift on my buddies yj and yeah, its stiff. any leaf spring suspension lift is gonna be stiff at first. as long as you didn't tighten the suspension while the jeep was jacked up everything will be fine. just take it out and flex it a little bit, that helps alot.

What fits?

yea sounds like my buddies 3.5inch black diamond lift, we went to flex it and the shackles didnt even budge, and yes we sat it down and tightened them up. point being it takes a little bit of time

i've had my 4" procrap lift now for 2 years, i went with them knowing it would be stiff but didn't want any sagging after i put my 350 in. All in all the lift is ok, it flexes well off road, but onroad every crack feels like a bump and a big enough bump will send you out of your seat.

RE: SYE and CV compatibility?

Disconnect the swaybar, remove the rear trackbar, take it off road on some really uneven terrain and work those springs over till they are broken in.

Even when I thought my BDS lift was broken in it rode alot better after the first run offroad.

TC, is it the 620S? That's what I have on mine. It is stiff. I followed the instructions when installing. I figured it need time to break in. One of the guys in our local club told me some of that is in the shocks. He was telling me to try the old man emu shock if it didn't loosen up. :?

Unfortunately I only had it on for a week before going to the body shop so I haven't had time to break it in yet. :(

mike

lower to 35? mine never see anything more than 30...

as far as the suspension... whenever you park where there's a curb... put one wheel up on it

RE: Re: RE: Gettin

Sounds like you torqued up the shackles and spring eyes. You should be using selflocking nuts and just bring the nuts up a little sung. I know Chilton's says 90 ft/lbs but that crazy. Be sure to use nyloks or self locking nuts. These are supplied with the Heavy Duty "H" shackles. Be sure to grease everything up as you assemble. I would use the front sway bar and get quick disconnects. I like the front track bar but you need the extension kit or piece. The rear can be left off so it will feel slightly softer.

RE: CLutch sliiping??

Removing the front sway bar does make it ride a little softer. Leaf spring lifts are stiff, break it in, but dont expect a Cadillac type ride. Shocks also play a role. The ones included with lifts are usually very firm.

Re: RE: "Status", post counts, and problems therei

All I know is my BDS rode great with the BDS nitro shocks after a couple of trail runs.

Ritt made a good point - if your shackle bolts are too tight it'll ride stiff as hell no matter what kind of springs you have.

By the way, to clarify, when I said disconnect the swaybar I meant for offroad, not permenantly. IT will help beak in the springs by allowing them to flex offroad. disconnects would be good.

also have 90yj,2.5l.installed re2.5" and 1.75"shackles and she rode hareder than a brick,bein a newbie and not knowin any better drove her for about 3,000 miles.put on stock shackles and shes much better.still alittle stiff but bearable,is my daily ride and does ok

Back