shackles?

That depends on how the seller is figuring the 1.25", is that the difference in length between the lift shackle and the stock shackle, or is that the amount of actual lift gained?

A shackle will provide lift equal to half it's increase in length over stock.

So, that 1.25" lift shackle is either 2.5" longer than stock, or it only provides 0.625" of lift. Find out the actual length of the new shackle from hole center to hole center, and compare it to stock.

I wouldn't go any bigger than that. I put a 2" lift shackle (yes they were HUGE) on my YJ and it made for loose steering and well, they looked ridiculous. This guy down the street from me seems to be pretty happy with the 1 1/4" shackles, and he has adequate clearance for his 31" tires on his YJ!

My shackles are supposed to give 3/4 in lift (1 1/2 taller than stock) which they do, and I don't have any steering/ driveability issues, but as has been said, don't go any taller than that or your asking for problems.

yeah... i think we hold the record for the worlds largest shackle lift at 3"... that was some time ago, when we were forced to somehow fit 32"ers on a stock yj with warn out springs.... it did the trick, but was a temporary deal

When I bought my CJ it had 2" lift shackles on it (4" longer than stock). Those things just made it downright scary on the highway. I don't know what point shackles start to cause adverse handling/steering at... but as soon as I put stock size shackles on all my steering issues corrected themselves.

jim

I was wanting to know the advantages of shackles, I will be putting a 4" lift on probally wed and was kinda thinking about replacing the shackles...also, will I need to do anything else besides putting them on, like will i need to drop the t-case more?? also how hard are they to put on???

I had 2" with a SOA. It looked like fangs under the bumper. Sure did flex alot.

Nymisus said:
I was wanting to know the advantages of shackles, I will be putting a 4" lift on probally wed and was kinda thinking about replacing the shackles...also, will I need to do anything else besides putting them on, like will i need to drop the t-case more?? also how hard are they to put on???

There are three benefits to an aftermarket shackle:
1. You can increase your height.
2. A taller 1/2-1" lift shackle will give you better clearance for military-wrapped spring eyes.
3. Many of them come with greaseable bolts.

If your springs come with the military wraps, you might want to get a 1/2" (1 inch taller than stock) shackle to clear them (or an angled shackle). It's more of an issue in the rear. If you stay with the 1/2", your xfer case kit should be enough.

I am running stock shackles with greaseable bolts. My military wrap springs are a little tight in the rear, and I will probably get a new set some time soon. You can save yourself some time and put 'em on when you do the lift!

Oh, i forgot! The 4th thing (about aftermarket shackles) would be that they are alot beefier and would hold up better offroad

well im runnin a 3in susp. lift would i have any problems with any thing or have to do any mods to slap on a 1"--1-1/4" shackle lift?

You might have driveline vibrations, which will only be corrected by a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) and a CV type driveshaft. I believe once you get over 4" of lift is when they become recommended. Shackles are easy enough to put on and take off, so I would say give it a shot, if you have problems with vibration (you may or may not), you then would have to choose either doing the additional mods, or switching to a shorter shackle. Keeping fresh grease in your U-joints is a plus, too!

Back