Short in Cig Lighter socket?

Re: RE: Re: RE: Short in Cig Lighter socket?

Have I mentioned lately how much I abhor electrical problems? I once sold a vehicle simply because it had an electrical gremlin somewhere in the starter relay. It could go days and weeks and never have a problem, then two days in a row it wouldn't start for 2 or 3 tries. Whoever invented electricity should be hogtied and cornholed.

RE: Hood Misaligned.

Hi,

Sparky-Watts said:
Yuppers. As to your previous post, the gauge on the dash doesn't waver a bit when I plug in the lighter socket. It moves when I do anything else, such as turn on the stereo (just slightly), headlights, driving lights, honk the horn, fart, etc.......

You still haven't provided the info that I'm looking for :wink: The voltmeter in the dash, like all the analog gauges, is not an accurate instrument. It will be even _less_ accurate if it is one of those crappy bi-metal type gauges that the auto industry loves to use so much.

At any rate, I'm looking for some actual voltage numbers here... :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

XJNick said:
Hi,

Sparky-Watts said:
Yuppers. As to your previous post, the gauge on the dash doesn't waver a bit when I plug in the lighter socket. It moves when I do anything else, such as turn on the stereo (just slightly), headlights, driving lights, honk the horn, fart, etc.......

You still haven't provided the info that I'm looking for :wink: The voltmeter in the dash, like all the analog gauges, is not an accurate instrument. It will be even _less_ accurate if it is one of those crappy bi-metal type gauges that the auto industry loves to use so much.

At any rate, I'm looking for some actual voltage numbers here... :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Sorry, my arms aren't long enough to do this alone. Going over to my brother's tonight to have him help me....he's an electronics genius, he should know his way around a multimeter. :wink:

Ok, I finally broke down and took the YJ into a repair shop yesterday for the problems I was having with the heater fan mentioned in this thread: http://www.jeepz.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=328087

The guy called last night and said there is a direct ground short in the heater wiring, and that he'd have it fixed by noon today. So, do you think the two problems might be interrelated? Guess we'll find out after work tonight when I go pick it up.

Re: RE: What President Bush

Well, I got the heater fan working now, but the cig lighter socket is still acting up. I decided to put an inline fuse in (forgot to when I installed the new socket). Now it pops the fuse everytime I plug something into it. I asked the guy that did the heater wiring (that's all he does is automotive electrical work) and he said it's a short in the socket. I explained that the problem existed both before and after I put in the new socket. He said it's still got a short in it, that the socket I bought must be bad. What are the odds of that happening? It was around $7, so I'm going to get one more socket and install it. If it keeps happening, I'm gonna shoot some innocent bystander somewhere...... :evil:

UPDATE:

I finally got around to checking into this situation further tonight. I installed an extra fuse block I got from Advance Auto Parts, holds six fuses and has a max capacity of 150 amps. So, I wired it direct from the battery, put in a 20 amp fuse, and hooked up the cigarette lighter (same one the guy at the electrical shop said was bad and shorted out). It works perfectly now. No problems. No radio cutting out. No blown fuses. I'm happy. 8)

Now I've got 5 extra fuse slots for other doo-dads. Next project is a super-bright dome light on the roll bar. I put one like it in the old POS GMC, and you practically have to wear sunglasses when you turn it on!!

Back