Should I convert a 4.2 i6 to weber carb or go fuel injection kit

jerzdevl

I am at a crossroad. I purchased a 1987 wrangler Laredo with original carb in it. I want to upgrade that. Should I go with the weber carb or go all the way to Howell fuel injector system. What are the pros and cons.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz

Do you have to do emissions where you live? If so then neither would be an option.

I have never done a carb to FI swap, but I'd imagine it would be cheaper to buy a 91 or so Wrangler that already had FI than to upgrade yours.

I used the Howell kit and love it. Got rid most of the vacuum lines. New carb would be alot cheaper. If you don't want to deal with carbs the Howell kit does a great job.
The instructions are some of the worst I've ever seen, Good thing my brother the mechanic helped me with it.
You can make up the fuel injection kit off junkyard parts for much cheaper than the kit. Kit is all older parts just new.
I'm in NJ as well if you ever wanted to poke around at it.

How long did it take to install, I am a novice my buddy is a machanic

nothing going wrong and having the instructions perfect can be done in a day. We had to figure alot of things out that are not clear in the instructions. Took us full Saturday and a few days of after work time.

fuel injection is the only way to go if you do any wheeling at all, too many times Ive been in front of or behind someone who is running a carb and cant keep it running when climbing or descending, and they usualy take a long time to restart when the stall because the bowl has gone empty and the float is in the wrong position to allow more fuel to get in.

if you can afford to go fuel injection, go fuel injection.

i have a four barrel on mine and its great though. 87 laredo also with 4.2 and automatic trans

Where do you recommend buying the kit? Where are the best instructions for installation?

Most places have pretty much the same price. I got mine from quadratec. There are a few write ups around other sites I used along with the instructions they give.

This one helped out the most, more so than the actual instructions.
http://4x4xplor.com/TBI.html

Lgr thanks for the link awesome

i have a holley four barrel on mine and some people run holley two barrels. mine is a lot of fun but you do have to change a few other things to run a four barrel carb versus a two barrel. of course, yours is stock so you will still ahve to change a few things to run a different two barrel carb. you can also run a two barrel ford motorcraft 2100 or 2150 carb too. they are made by holley for motorcraft (ford)

Where did you get yours?

I bought it on eBay. I just searched for Holley carb and looked for one I thought would work and was cheap enough. Then I bought a rebuild kit from advanced auto and rebuilt it

and for some more info, a buddy here in town is running a 600cfm edelbrock on his yj. it is a monster with 35s and cruises at 70 all day long on the highway, just like mine does

I know some of you will hate this, but............. Two words "Go Weber!". I've had various models over the years. They will give you the most vesitility for the cost and once you understand them, they are not that hard to re-jet and tune for specific applications. But that's just me :shades:

Nothing wrong with webers (except the weber 34/34). I love weber carbs an ran a 32/36 on my BMW with improved power, gas mileage, and performance

Back