Starting Problems

Jsmit149

I have just signed on with Jeepz ...saw your contact info.. Got a real
> frustrating starter problem. My son's 87 Jeep Wrangler 4.2 died. Found no spark
> so we started with the least expensive parts and worked our way up...replaced
> coil, rotor, distributor cap, pickup coil, started soleniod, ignition module
> and even replaced ECU (got 2 on ebay $20 each) and finally purchased rebuilt
> carburetor and new fuel pump just for good measures.. ...wants to fire but
> acts like out of time. I consulted our Haynes manual and ensure we were at
> TDC on the firing stroke and not exhaust stroke on the #1 cyclinder.
> Positioning the oil slot at 11 o'clock for 87 carburetor.
>
> Two things are suspect. When my son replace the started soleniod, he may have
> mixed up the 3 small wires that connect to the 2 post in front. Can you tell
> me how they should be. He know that one post has 2 wires and the other has 1 wire. The wires are green, green/white, and black/white.
>
> Secondly, can you tell me what position is the #1 cylinder on the cap is
> located. The manual shows at 6 o'clock but I we recall it is more at the 7 or
> 8 o'close position?
>
> We have messed with this by position the distributor more times than I care
> to count..
>
> Help!!!
>

may sound like a really stupid question but did you replace the plug wires (including the coil wire)? - my stepson's 72 mustang had a similar problem - tried to start, stumbled, hesitated, frustrated the he** out of me... everything tested fine.... turned out to be the coil wire from coil to center of cap only made contact intermittently (sp?) - changed it out and did fine.... hope it helps (?) and welcome to Jeepz.... good place for help most times....

If you haven't replaced the spark plug wires, you should test them for continunity and resistance. Use an ohm meter to make sure. Then double check your manual for the correct #1 cylinder on the diagram and trace it back to insure that it is pluged into the #1 terminal on the destributor cap. Check the diagram to see what way the rotation is for the cap and trace back all wires one at a time. Make sure that you are on the compression stroke by pluging the sparkplug hole with your finger (or a friend's) and turning over the motor by using a socket on the crankshaft bolt until you feel air comming out of the cylinder. Then I place a small wire down the hole and slowly turn the crankshaft bolt until the wire stops rising. That will insure that you are on the compression stroke on #1 cylinder.

Good Luck!

Back