Steering Assistance

82CJ7JEEP

Well it is time to tackle the steering issue. The issue is as follows: The steering wheel is very "loose" driving down the road, I.e. have to move it 3-4 inches to start moving the steering box. I have checked what I call the intermediate shaft (steering shaft) from the column to the steering box, it has minimal play but some. I know on all of my old fords I could adjust the tightness of the steering box. I cannot find this in my Jeep manual nor on the steering box ( haven't removed it yet to look on top. Can anyone tell me if the steering box is adjustable? P.S I did verify the steering stabilizer is good. Thanks as always for all of your input.

Have somebody turn the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect every inch of the steering for play, especially the tierod ends and watching for any lag between steering box input and output.

The Saginaw steering box is adjustable, it's on the top of the box as looking down from near the radiator. The steering box is easy to replace if needed, and there are some upgrades out there in other vehicles.

Bounty,
When you say upgrades in orher vehicles, could you be a little more specific? I have checked the steering several times, there is maybe 1/4" play at the knuckle where the column through the firewall joins to the steering shaft, equal at the steering box. It is my opinion that the steering box is original, we have over 110000 miles on the jeep. Good possibility it is worn out.

The stock lower steering shaft is prone to wear & often gets sloppy. Replacements are available from Boregeson,Flaming River....I've used Boregeson more than once & have been very pleased with their quality & tech support.
As to upgrade boxes...there are more than a few companies selling new boxes or reman boxes that have upgraded specs. I've had good luck with a company called Car Steering Wholesale,but I'm sure there are other good companies out there

Abe, I do not know the answer to that question. I have done some garage engineering to quell the issue right now so that I am free to attack some bigger fish.

Back