Steering Column Compatibility

jerms14

I know the steering column in my 1977 CJ5 is out of a different vehicle. I know this because from my understanding, CJ%s were not made with an automatic transmission and I have an automatic shifter on the column. Now some of my cohorts have told me that it looks like a Chevy car column. Does anyone know what all out there can be made to fit like this one was? I saw a listing for a YJ column on Craig's List. Would that work on my '77 CJ5? This should wind up my restoration, for now....

CJ's did come with automatic transmissions, especially those built with the Quadratrac 4wd. I believe the stock column is a GM Column.

I know the steering column in my 1977 CJ5 is out of a different vehicle. I know this because from my understanding, CJ%s were not made with an automatic transmission and I have an automatic shifter on the column. Now some of my cohorts have told me that it looks like a Chevy car column. Does anyone know what all out there can be made to fit like this one was? I saw a listing for a YJ column on Craig's List. Would that work on my '77 CJ5? This should wind up my restoration, for now....

Hello....... CJ's were made with auto columns, although rare and those that were where shift on the column. AMC used Saginaw steering columns (GM). I recently broke the shroud on my column while rebuilding it and in the process of tracking that part down got a detailed education on them. I explored replacing it similar to what you are asking, but I ended up with extra parts and another column that I came across in my search. Although mine is a manual, the basic fit is the same.

The YJ column will work but there are a couple of things to consider. One is that the intermediate shafts are different (the part between the bottom of the column that connects to the gear box). The CJ is splined and the YJ will be a "DD" design (flat spot). You can combine the upper have of the YJ intermediate shaft with the lower of a CJ as they will slide together, just be certain to replace the nylon "crush pins". You will also have two extra electrical tabs from the YJ, one for cruise control (if equipped) and for high beams. Both can be retro-fitted for your CJ if your interested or you can simply leave them alone. Otherwise, the under the dash support and firewall/bulkhead connections are the same.

I found that pretty much most GM columns from the late 70's through the 80's will work. One's for the Firebird, Trans AM, Blazer or S10 work the best, but look for the splined shaft for the easiest fit. I also know where you can get parts for the auto column that you have, but they are costly. IM me and I'll give you the guys info.

I thought CJ5s were all manual. That's why the CJ7s came along with the option of automatic. The CJ5s weren't long enough for the automatic was what I read somewhere....

You are correct the the 5,s never came with a automatic trans, I missed the 5 part. So, is your jeep a stick with a auto column or does it have a auto trans that someone has added?

Yeah, I noticed after re-reading my message I still had shift down on the CJ% = CJ5. Manual with auto column. And just scouting out ebay , S10 and Blazer columns are incredibly cheaper than Jeep columns. (Why are Jeep parts so much higher?)

I didn't see the "5" part either....my bad. The other GM columns are cheaper because not everyone know about the swap or does not belongs to this great site! Also, depending on the year of the donor column, some fabbing will be needed but it is fairly easy.

so you have a manual trans, but someone put in a column for a automatic trans. Then you don't need to get a auto column at all, unless you just want one, you can get any standard cj or gm column, or even the yj column as mentioned. "Some" parts for jeeps are like buying parts for corvettes, bmw,s and so fourth, the name drives the prices up, then again, other jeep parts are dirt cheap, so who knows.

No cj5 was ever auto? You guys sure? I thought those full time 4x4 ones with a t400 were auto?

correct, No 5 came factory with a auto. It is done by owners but is difficult to do because of the short wheel base and the length of the auto trany makes a workable rear drive shaft almost imposible, but doable. The cj7 came with auto,s (th400) and The cj5 did have an option for lock-o-matic hubs which had a setting for lock, free. Free was a auto setting with 4hi (shift on the fly), but you had to get out and manually lock the hub for low range.

Back