steering column

73cj5guy27

i just picked up a column from a 65 cj5 because someone messed mine up and welded a steering wheel to it. so the question is will it bolt right in or will i have to do mods to it and if so what r the mods

73cj5guy27 said:
i just picked up a column from a 65 cj5 because someone messed mine up and welded a steering wheel to it. so the question is will it bolt right in or will i have to do mods to it and if so what r the mods

As long as you are still staying with the shaft steering and not changing to something like tilt steering.

ya its the stock 65 steering column and mine in the 73 is stock too but the 65 has a steering box on the end of the column and mine has u joints on it

The "65 had the Ross bellcrank style steering....yours came with a saginaw box(a hugh improvement). I think the older shaft will work with your lower shaft & u-joints...check the diameter & spline count....if their the same it'll work. If not you may be able to get a lower shaft from Borgenson & order it with the right diameter & spline count. Hope that helps...let us know how it works out.

Let me know if that spline works out because I might want to do that upgrade.

doesnt look like the 65 steering column will work. its to long and the bottom is different set up unless i have it cut my U- joint welding to the end but i was thinking about tilt steering but dont want to spend 800 bucks on one but need to get the column out of mine cause its messed

Back