Steering shaft replacement

jeepngeo

My 14 year old jeep has some significant play in the steering wheel. Does anyone have any good experience with this swap? Is a replacement stock shaft sufficient or should I go with the Flaming River or Borgeson high dollar jobbers? Thanks for your help!

:( So no one is really big on this mod I guess. Sounds like I'll save a C-note with a stock replacement then. In this case no responses save me some $$. :D

I went the stock route, i figure the first one lasted 22 years! It made all the difference, stearing much tighter now and now have much less stearing wander.

Have you narrowed the play down to a worn steering shaft? Reason I ask is there are a lot more steering parts that go bad more often than the shaft.

when my steering shaft went bad i replaced it with a borgeson ( spelling), for me it was only a couple of bucks more than the OEM replacement.

I went with a Borgeson unit. I think it is of good quality and it is easier to remove and re-connect than my old stock unit. This is important when you have to put on header gaskets all the time!
There is more to the steering system than this piece. I'm experiencing loose steering still. The column could also have some play. If you have a tilt wheel the unit can become loose at the joint in the unit.

Back