Steering stabilizer?

Hey guys,
My girlfriend has an 05' L J, 4 liter, 6 speed, 4x4
We recently installed a Rough Country 4inch short arm lift and it went on fine but now she has a death wobble at about 60 mph. She had an alignment done and they said it was very badly pigeon toed lol got 4 new 33x12.50's Goodyear Wrangler Dura-trac's put on thinking that the tires and alignment would fix the wobble but no luck. Is it possible she may need a heavy duty steering stabilizer after the lift now or does anyone else have any suggestions as to what may help this problem? Thanks guys! I searched and couldn't find anything as to wether or not a steering stabilizer would help lol Usually the death wobble is another problem but if she just had an alignment all should be right…SHOULD lol

they didn;t adjust the alignment to the specs that came with the lift. i notice that rough country sends instructions on how to align the vehicle after the lift is installed so it doesn;t get death wobble. its on a little piece of paper somewhere in the box.

A steering stabilizer may mask the symptoms but will do nothing to correct the problem(s) that are causing the Death Wobble. First verify that the suspension lift was installed and adjusted per the manufactures specs. Second, look for worn steering components like tie-rod ends and ball joints. Everything needs to be working properly and dialed in correctly to alleviate the poor handling issues. It's possible that there is something really wrong that a steering stabilizer might hide until a component fails altogether. Now that would suck big time!

Last edited:

there is a big article on here about all the causes and possible fixes for the death wobble on here that someone made very well

steering stabilizers are pointless and do exactly what Phil typed.

fix the problem correctly and not just throw parts at the vehicle. Pigeon toed means that there is too much toe out on the front axles, this could be as simple as adjusting the drag link and bringing the toe in, I like about 1/2"-3/4" toe out. worn front end components like tie rod ends, unit bearings and such can cause DW and also appear to be improper allignment if the shop doesn't properly rack the vehicle. unbalanced tires and warped rotrs will cause DW.

I've installed a few Rough Country components (Don't forget we get a discount - Get a 10% Jeepz.com member discount off of all Rough Country products when you call 1-800-222-7023 and ask for Dustin @ ext 110 ).

I had some problems with my springs. If you call them up they are willing to talk to you and offer suggestions.

Hey thanks for the responses y'all, were gonna be taken it back to the shop to have it double checked for free but I think I may have to call up rough country and try and get the specs from the for the post lift alignment.

Hey thanks for the responses y'all, were gonna be taken it back to the shop to have it double checked for free but I think I may have to call up rough country and try and get the specs from the for the post lift alignment.

That may be the ticket. Remember when a shop says they've done everything they can to get the alignment into specs, your's ain't rolling on OEM specs anymore. Also, it's pretty important the shop is willing to work on and knows how to work on 4x4's. A lot of shops won't do anything other than OEM specs.

You also need to check the trackbar. 80% of DW come from there. Grab the bar and try to move it at the axle side it could just be the bolts not tight, or the bushing is bad.
Have some one sit in the jeep and have them jerk the steering wheel back & forth while you look for movement in all the steering components.
You just have to just get under there and look over everything.

Back