Steering wheel airbag/horn connection

zafirex

Bought a used 98 TJ, and have been trying to figure out why the horn's not blowing. Have tested the stock horns by patching to positive and ground, and they work. Looking back to the steering wheel, the previous owner disconnected the airbag and horn setup at the wheel. Looks like there's a male white plastic plug with black ground and white/red stripe wires coming off the wheel (same wires lead to the horns) but I can't find a female connector under the dash.

Any ideas? Did the last owner cut the cable, though I can't find any ends? I'm guessing he had an air horn and ripped it out prior to selling--same thing was done with the overhead light bar.

And any thoughts on the airbag? There's a 5 or 6 prong black male plastic plug, but I can't find the connector for that either.

Can't help ya with the wiring stuff, just wanted to give you a piece of advice: Be very, very careful when messing with the airbag and it's components. They go off with a lot more force than you might think! They can definitely kill you if you're not careful.

Can't help ya with the wiring stuff, just wanted to give you a piece of advice: Be very, very careful when messing with the airbag and it's components. They go off with a lot more force than you might think! They can definitely kill you if you're not careful.

And if you ever figure it out, let me know. If it weren't for those dang airbags, the TJ's would still have a decent "Jeep" dash.

was going to say the same thing - airbags are NOTHING to experiment with - one small spark or misswire and BOOM!!! - if youre not sure - find a pro that is... sounds like the prev. owner ran a custom wheel and put the stock one back on to sell it... this is one area i wouldnt experiment with - just tell yourself "this is why i have a JOB!!" and pay someone to fix it if you want it working...overall just be smart and careful! its tough to post here w/out hands!!! (and welcome to JEEPZ!!)

........just tell yourself "this is why i have a JOB!!" and pay someone to fix it if you want it working......

Yeah, forgot to mention that............and the WELCOME to the "Z"! But my offer still stands...........if you figure it out, let me know!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I've considered calling the local dealership and asking how much it's going to cost to have the airbag re-installed and stock horn hooked up at the same time.

Had hoped I could just poke around, find the connector and plug the horn in (wasn't planning on doing the airbag myself). But nothing with those same two wires goes even close to the connector.

I hadn't even planned to get into this project during Thanksgiving, but I was looking for an electrical short that drained the battery any time the Jeep was left sitting for a week. Thought it might have been the car stereo that the used car dealership hooked up (they initially ran it through the heating system, so it only worked if you turned on the fan!) but then I found several exposed wires in the trailer light cable, so disconnected that. Also disconnected the front flood lamps, one of which only works if you hit it. We'll see if it starts in a week or if I have to jump it again.

Back