stereo install

NormanW

’93 Cherokee
I am installing a new CD receiver in the dash and would like to know what kinds of install kits you have used and recommend? The only thing I have left in the dash from a previous radio install is the screw holes on each side. Also, is there suppose to be something in the back of the hole to mount the back of the stereo to? The old stereo had a very long screw extending from the sleeve (It was a pull out system) back to the firewall.

Here's the deal. There are two way to go about this, and neither require a dash kit, Sort of. The easiest way is, when the dash is off (which the earlier style dashes can fight you) there will be a bracket that the original radio used, you simple ISO mount the aftermarket to this bracket and reassemble. Now if that bracket is not there, don't waste the $30 to buy one. The aftermarket radio has a silver colored cage that holds the radio in place. hold just that up to the hole in the dash and use a dremmel to remove material so that the cage fits snuggly in that hole. this is easiest (but messier) to do in the vehicle cause you can see how it will line up with the Sub-Dash. Assuming that the factory wiring harness is still in the jeep, you may need a wiring harness adapter, which will just plug into it. The first method is the cleanest looking, but from what you say, the second method might suit you best.

yeah what johnny said :wink:

but if you're going to buy the wiring harness anyways (i'm assuming you'll have to) then you might as well buy the dash kit as well, it'll save you some work and its not that expensive. tweeter sells them for $30 together (dash kit and wiring harness). so you really only save yourself about $15 in the long run for all the extra mounting stuff you have to do if you dont buy the dash kit.

Thanks for the reply guys. I decided not to wait for replys and went and bought the Metra Turbokit. (Trouble at work lead to a 3 hr lunch and the need to burn some time but thats another story.) For stereo install it was the best $17 I ever spent. If the previous owner had not hacked the dash on the last stereo that was put in, this one would look like it came from the factory.

yeah i found no need to buy that little install kit, i just did the thing with the dremel and metal cage and it worked and looked fine!

image-missing.png

There is no dash kit for this vehicle. you need to go to the dealership and buy the factory bracket. That metra kit you got is most likely a ford/chrysler/amc multi kit. they most likely didn't use anything from the kit. and if they did it was probably a small piece of plastic that they mickey rigged to hold it in the dash.

But since you already bought it, and it is done, oh well!

Glad it worked out for you. I went the lazy way and boy did it cost me.
I went to Circut City and bought a Sony CD for $109.00 with free install.
Here is how it went down with my 1990 XJ. While the install was "free" they made me buy a wiring harness adapter for $15.00, understandable. Also a "dash kit" for $16.00. The whole deal was near $160.00, they missed putting back 3 of the 7 screws they took out, 2 of them held in the warning light/clock cluster, why they took it loose in the first place??? I took the trim off and put all the screws back that were left in the floor, then noticed that the power antena no longer worked. SO I had to take it back again, they took the deck out and re-wired their harness to make it work. If I only knew how sloppy those guys at our local store were, I would have done what you did. Live and learn.

jps4jeep said:
There is no dash kit for this vehicle. you need to go to the dealership and buy the factory bracket. That metra kit you got is most likely a ford/chrysler/amc multi kit. they most likely didn't use anything from the kit. and if they did it was probably a small piece of plastic that they mickey rigged to hold it in the dash.

The Metra kit I got is as you describe. Ford/Chrysler/AMC. However I did use most of the kit. Because the last owner attached the sleeve of the old radio to the bezel and the old radio was a bit larger then the new one I had nothing to mount to. To use this kit I left the DIN style sleeve out and mounted it ISO-DIN style to the kit. This let me use the faceplate, i.e. trim ring, from the kit and give it a very flush mounted look. When my wife gives the camera back I'll take a picture and let you see. If the old owner had not hacked the dash the kit would have been a waste.

Cool, that must be a new bracket they put in there. I installed for years and we never had a iso kit for those XJ's and MJ's I stand corrected and informed. Thanks dude, glad to hear it turned out OK. another option could have been, if the opening was slightly larger, you could have gotten a 1/4 trim ring, they are like $4.00. but sounds like your turned out a lot nicer.

Back