Still can't figure out my no power problem

DeanBray

Ok I have an '89 Jeep Wagoner Limited (XJ body style). I am having problems with losing power at the ignition switch. If I disconnect the battery and hook it back it up and turn the ignition to the on position for 25 minutes I get power back and the Jeep runs. Then without warning of any kind I will not have power again and have to reset it again. I've replaced the starter relay (that the battery connects directly to) and the resistor and 1 fusible link that comes off the starter relay. Just dumbfounded and can't figure out why this happens. I haven't put it on a diagnostic machine cause I was told without an engine light coming on there won't be codes to diagnose. Anybody have any ideas?

WoW, that sounds crazy. Have you replaced the ignition switch yet? Have you tested the wires going to the ignition switch when the switch losses power?, to see if there is still power to the switch. I would guess if you have power in the wires at the switch, the switch is going bad. Just a guess though.

Back