Stupid, stupid, stupid problem...

jterp

This is stupid problem that shouldn't even be a problem at all... unfortunately it's going to cause me a dead battery one of these days so i need to take care of it --
The factory fog lights on my '02 Tj go on when you just touch the switch...
They are switched on the same stem as the lights and the turn signal. if you twist the end it turns the lights on. If you push up or down on the stem it turns on the turn signal. If you pull the tip of the stem out (toward the driver door) it clicks into place to turn on the foglights. My problem is this.. With the headlights turned to 'off' --any slight tug in the foglights direction turns them on (before the 'click'-- in fact with headlights off you can't pull the foglights to the on position) If you push on the tip in the 'foglights off' direction, they go off, but then you hit a bump and they come back on. This is a problem because they go on and off like this when the car is parked. The only way to keep them off it to put the turn signal on... then the foglight switch works as it should.

Obviously this is a stupid little electrical connection problem -- most likely within the stem. My problem is, how do i get into the stem? There are no visible screw, no flaps or snaps... its made of plastic and i know if i play with it i'm going to break it. My jeep is under warranty but i feel like an idiot taking it in for this-- not to mention I would have to take time off work to get it there and pick it up and i dont have a second car blah blah blah.. Does anyone have a service manual or know how to get in and fix this ridiculous little gremlin?
Thanks

I would just take it to the dealership. They will usually take you to work and pick you up. Make an appointment then they should be able to do it in half a day so you can pick it up at lunch.

I'd take it in to the dealership especially if it's under warranty. I had to replace mine on my YJ and it was expensive for such a little part. If I can remember right it was over $100 mabye even $200...I can't remember....and that's for a YJ. It's probably more for your TJ. When I had mine replaced, in order to get at all the wireing and springs for it, I'm pretty sure they had to take off the steering wheel and the collar around the steering column.

It sounds like a problem with the switch's moving parts, not necessarily an electrical problem. You'd probably have to dismantle part of the steering column, which can be unsafe due to the airbag. I agree with the others, take it to the dealer for warranty :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

if it is under warranty, take it to the dealership.. if it is not under warranty... then get another switch from the yard

DON"T mess with it. You are likely to knock yourself out if and whn the airbag opens up. Even if it was not under warranty, just take it to somebody that will make themselves responsible if they make the air bag go off. In fact, it is not a "stupid little electrical problem", it can become a real annoying problem that will eventually leve you without lights. Take care of it as soon as possible so your dealer will not have any wiggle room to get out of fixing it for you. -Al

Back